Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,194

0 members and 2,194 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala

Thread: Hiding Spot

Thanks

Question Hiding Spot

I saw alot of people use the large dog bowls just turned upside down and cut a hole in. I went to walmart and got some for my snake and the only prob is that its the largest one they had(just the cheap $.97 one) and when he went to curl up in it he doesnt fit. Do pet stores carry bigger ones or is the Jumbo Van Ness at Walmart the biggest.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Hiding Spot

I got these bowls at the Dollar Store (packaged 3 to a pack). This is the smaller bowl, but they have larger ones as well. Dollar General also sells them. Don't mind the no substrate, still getting the enclosures set up for the girls that are coming in a few weeks!!!!

Thanks

at walmart try using a small kitty litter pan. it is plastic and cost 2 bucks i think. the approx size is 10" x 13"

vaughn

Thanks

I know the litter boxes....used to have cats so I had a few of them. Just dont know if 2 of them would fit in my 41 qt long sterilite container

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

The tub that I posted with the hides is a 41 quart Sterilite tub. Not sure if it's the exact one, but probably close.

Thanks

Mine seems a lil longer and doenst have the locking. ide clamp things. I just have weight on top of it. The bowls I have are a lil bigger then that but are to small for my snake......Is it ok to just use boxes for now and replace them as they get soiled and wet and such? Not sure if its a male or female but it seems to like the box the best. Also since I just moved it to the bigger container and regulated everything properly how long should I wait to feed it. I mean I've had the snake for going on 6 days tomorrow and the previous owner said it should be ready to eat in 3-4 days.

Sorry so many questions but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Thanks

Don't worry about not feeding. Your snake will be fine. If you have a set day to feed, go ahead and offer food that day. Don't feel pressured to get food in him as soon as possible. I feed on Thursday's. I offer food then and only then. If you don't eat, well then we'll see how it goes next week.

As for hides, I scour the whole Walmart store. I check out the rubbermaid shoe boxes, I check in the food container section, I even checked out some nice disposable pans (they're all black and are 9 x 13, but very flat). Check out the craft section. you'd be surprised what you find that you can use as hides.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Not sure what size your snake is or what size hide you need, but for my larger snakes we found some wonderful heavy black rubber dog/animal feed bowls at our local farm supply store. I think I pay around $3.99 for them but they are super sturdy, easy to clean, have a lovely flat "roof" which I toss some aspen on and the snakes seem to like lazing on it. They do take some work to cut a whole into as they are so thick but a good pair of wire cutters do the job.

If you have a local feed/tack/farmer supply type store nearby, check it out....they have some very neat stuff and they tend to carry stock that is made for farm use so very good, sturdy quality. Maybe a bit more expensive than the dollar store but I know the rubber dishes we bought will likely last years and years.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Figured a pic is worth and all that.....

Here's a couple of pics I just took. One is the empty hide in Saoirse's tub, the other is Miss S snoozing her morning away just to give you an idea of what I'm using for our larger snakes.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~