Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,383

1 members and 1,382 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 520 Posts

Snakes eat carrion?

Some discussions of feeding snakes (usually, discussions specifically about thawing feeders) either explicitly claim or implicitly imply that snakes are obligate feeders on live animals and captive feeding should bear that in mind (by making sure the prey item doesn't look/taste/smell too dead). As it turns out, this isn't entirely accurate.

While I could not find any reference to Python regius feeding on carrion, apparently it is documented in the genus: "Indian pythons have been documented to eat carrion". (Invasive Pythons in the United States: Ecology of an Introduced Predator, By Michael E. Dorcas, John D. Willson)

An older (2002) lit review found 39 published accounts of snakes eating carrion, including that which "smelled strongly of decomposition, or contained fly larvae".

Scavenging by snakes: An examination of the literature, Travis L. DeVault and Aaron R. Krochmal, December 2002 Herpetologica 58(4):429-436

A more recent account noted scavenging by a green racer of a bird that had rigor mortis. This paper also cites ten more published accounts that post date the 2002 lit review:

Death and life on the roadway: scavenging behaviour of the green racer snake Philodryas patagoniensis, Joćo Luiz Ucha and Tiago Santos, August 2017 Herpetology Notes 10:439-441

So, that is fifty documented instances of snakes eating carrion, which is quite a decent data set. No moral to the story, really -- just food for thought.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Gio (Today),Homebody (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,302 Posts

Re: Snakes eat carrion?

In the Complete Children's Python, the authors describe instances of Children's, Pygmy and Stimson's pythons feeding on roadkill.

The most surprising instance of carrion feeding I've heard about was when Snake Discovery rescued a kingsnake attempting to consume a rodent from a glue trap in the garbage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF36nVCR50o.
    Last edited by Homebody; Today at 07:06 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (Today)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 520 Posts
    Interesting video -- thanks for the link. Personally, I would have suspected that the snake simply got stuck in the trap without the mice playing a role, but Emily noted that the snake made an apparent attempt to eat the mouse while she watched. Apparently, the snake is not very stressed (which is my experience with snakes in glue traps, as well -- they seem to want to get free, but aren't unduly freaked out by it).

Tangent on glue traps: I'm very skeptical of some of their claims. At 1:30 "this glue trap must not be very sticky, since I'm not seeing a lot of torn scales, which tends to happen". I'm not sure how many snakes Ed has caught in glue traps to support his claim about what tends to happen, but I catch about a half dozen a year in traps and have never seen any damage to the snake. If it wasn't very sticky, the snake would be free, no? Judging from Emily's less than expert removal of that snake, she hasn't done that too many times before, so I suspect they're newer to this. She's overdramatizing the yuck factor for television, so maybe she's just playing a part.

At 3:45: "they end up tearing scales...I've seen tons of times where snakes, like, just completely rip down the sides". Without seeing it, I'm going to suggest that's implausible at best. First, a snake has to get two points of contact on the trap (so it can get leverage to pull), and then have enough strength to tear its own skin -- and then have this improbable set of conditions happen "tons of times". Interestingly, there are two comments on the video that claimed this happened, but both involved duct tape (which is pretty different, and should not be used to catch snakes or rodents).

At 6:20: "usually they just get their head stuck, not the entire body". Maybe a large snake that catches their head first and is too large to loop around and get caught further down the body; smaller snakes, when moving about trying to free themselves, cannot help but getting hopelessly tangled. Play with a glue trap for a couple minutes and this will become apparent.

We get an influx of snakes (fox and milk) each fall in our basement, and I remove them with glue traps (I remove many of the snap traps we usually have out, which do in fact harm snakes). Most I clean up and release ASAP. Two now live at a local nature center, and are doing well -- I kept them long enough to shed the glue off and start feeding, both things they had no issues with so apparently were less stressed than many snakes I get from breeders.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Homebody (Today)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,921 Times in 4,804 Posts
    IIRC garter snakes will eat carrion.

I'm not surprised that a king or rat snake would as they're garbage disposals. In the case with the glue trap above, if the mouse were recently dead it's no different than offering a snake a freshly killed live feeder.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (Today),Malum Argenteum (Today)