Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,513

3 members and 1,510 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,761
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: BP wants more rats

She did make a squeaking noise a few times while eating last night. She had dropped it after wrapping, then picked it up the wrong way, dropped it again, and finally taken it by the head when re-offered. It sounded like a hard exhale around the blockage of the food. She got it down ok and otherwise acted normal. I didn't think the rat was particularly big, but I haven't seen symptoms of breathing issues at other times. She also stayed kind of vertical and squeaked a few times with a bunch of substrate in her mouth after the rat had gone down.

I wonder if I should try to reduce the amount of substrate sticking to her rats. I didn't think feeding on a plate would work too well since she always drags the rat around after grabbing.

Edit: This was also the first time I fed her without the lid of the enclosure (since temps/humidity were high in the whole room.) I had previously noticed the low ceiling limit how vertical she could go while swallowing the rat, so maybe not having the lid just meant she exerted herself by going higher?
    Last edited by Gobuchul; Today at 11:31 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,301 Posts

Snakes do weird things sometimes. I try not to draw conclusions from a single instance. Keep an eye on it. If it repeats, then consider doing something about it.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (Today),Gobuchul (Today)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 517 Posts
    What is the substrate? Is the rat wet? Making sure those two issues are not a problem would probably minimize the substrate ingestion risk.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Homebody (Today)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    What is the substrate? Is the rat wet? Making sure those two issues are not a problem would probably minimize the substrate ingestion risk.
    Coconut fiber, rat is wet. Definitely a fair bit of it sticks to the rat. I hadn't been drying the rat because it was easier and neater not to do so, and I'd read elsewhere on this forum that it doesn't matter if the snake eats some substrate.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,000 Times in 885 Posts
    Just to clarify on the coco fiber, you mean fine like the dirt? That's usually not too big of a worry since it is such small bits. Still nice to try and reduce it if the rat is wet just so it doesn't irritate too much.
    If it was a large number of chunks of coco chip I would worry a bit and try to cut back on how much they swallow.

I've had a couple snakes just sit and take some big breaths after they eat. They're usually the ones that really seem to work at it. Some of my slower eaters have no trouble with it. I do try to keep my feeders dry though when reheating them. Some of mine get fussy if they don't smell enough. lol, so they're in freezer bags while in the spa

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Homebody (Today)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    Just to clarify on the coco fiber, you mean fine like the dirt? That's usually not too big of a worry since it is such small bits. Still nice to try and reduce it if the rat is wet just so it doesn't irritate too much.
    If it was a large number of chunks of coco chip I would worry a bit and try to cut back on how much they swallow.

I've had a couple snakes just sit and take some big breaths after they eat. They're usually the ones that really seem to work at it. Some of my slower eaters have no trouble with it. I do try to keep my feeders dry though when reheating them. Some of mine get fussy if they don't smell enough. lol, so they're in freezer bags while in the spa
    Yeah, it's fine stuff, no chips. I suppose it wouldn't be hard for me to start putting the rats in ziplock bags for thawing, I just didn't want to deal with air in there making the thaws inconsistent. This snake isn't picky about the smell, although I have seen her become more animated immediately after the few times I've pinched rat nose.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 517 Posts
    I would very strongly recommend against coco fiber. The fact that it is small bits seems, anecdotally, not to matter regarding a blockage risk. Coco chip doesn't tend to stick to rodents, and is a good option in my opinion (it is what I use for all snakes that need a moisture tolerant substrate). Coco chip can be purchased in different sizes, and these sizes can be chosen in part on whether the snake is likely to ingest that size chunk.

Thawing the rat out in the air at a warm room temp works well for me for thawing scores of rodents weekly. I put mine on top of enclosure lights to speed things up, but room temp is fine. Some snakes may demand some particular thawing/warming procedure, but if that's not necessary then simply leaving it out to thaw would be my choice.
    Last edited by Malum Argenteum; Today at 07:11 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Homebody (Today)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12