Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,266

0 members and 1,266 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,759
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

Advice For A Long Distance Move

Hello everyone,

Asking for a bit of advice again.

In about 6 weeks, the family is making a cross country move. We will be traveling by car, and likely spending a night in a hotel as it's a 17 hour continuous drive.

I want to keep our python in her regular glass enclosure (in our van with us, not the moving truck), so she is at least in familiar surroundings and smells. My wife thinks it's better to get a plastic tub for the drive to decrease space and make her more secure. I'm a little concerned about heating, as we won't be able to use the heat bulbs/heating pad during the trip.

I plan to feed her about 5 days before we move. She typically eats an upper sized medium rat every 2-3 weeks, so I figure she'll have enough time to digest and not risk regurgitation, and give her a week or so after the move to acclimate to a new home.

Any suggestions on how to make this the most stress free for her?

One further question. She's an excellent eater, never had a problem with her hunting instincts or eating her meals. However, her last 2-3 feedings, her tracking seems to be off. I tend to slowly move the rat around to simulate movement until she strikes, but lately she's been striking and needing 3-5 attempts to successfully "catch" her prey. Sometimes her strikes are several inches off target. We've had her just over a year and never seen this until lately. Is this normal?

Thanks as always.

Ian

Thanks
    Quick clarification.

In mid to late October, the temperatures tend to average around 10-15 Celsius (50-60 F). Much cooler than her normal range, and I doubt our car heater will bring it up to the proper teperature.

Ian

Thanks
    Thanked 20,175 Times in 12,056 Posts
    I'd leave at least a week to digest a medium rat- snake poo during a road trip might not be the best thing, y'know? Personally I wouldn't feed prior to moving.

Best way to move is with snake in a snake bag (pillowcase is fine, secured!) inside a styrofoam box (thick one, like food & live snakes are air shipped in) or an ice chest* (no ice, duh). For best results your snake needs stabilized temperatures for the trip- put some padding under the bagged snake too, in case you stop fast in traffic. *Open now & then for fresh air, or poke an air hole in styro box. If it's cold weather, use a chemical heat pad (shielded from snake) as needed- in any case, have for emergency use. If it's too hot, a bottle of cold water in with the snake will do the trick. ( A bottle of hot water can also keep them warm the cheap & low-tech way.) When you stop for the night, you'll probably find (as I did) that my snakes all slept happily thru the day's drive, & offer a drink of water. Snakes travel very well- just avoid overexposure to heat (sun streaming in thru car windows CAN kill a snake that's trapped in it) or cold. Once you arrive, then set-up your snake in their home enclosure- you don't need it on the trip...snakes are very forgiving. Just keep them comfortable- And most of all, SAFE.

A 17 hour drive is nothing, btw...I moved for days across country with 16 snakes- as described above. Easy peasy.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-12-2024 at 01:04 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-13-2024),Homebody (09-12-2024),Ian C (09-12-2024)

Thanks

Re: Advice For A Long Distance Move

As always, you are quick to reply with good advice.

I never even thought of a styrofoam container. I'll keep her in there as described, with a heat source, and stick a thermometer in with her to make sure it doesn't get too cold or hot.

Thank you!!!

Ian

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian C For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-12-2024)

Thanks

When this question comes up there's one piece of advice I don't notice given I believe is an important detail. Don't put a snake, or other pet of this nature, on the floor of the vehicle because it gets too hot on long drives. Just trying to help. Good luck on your move!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mistergreen For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-13-2024),Bogertophis (09-13-2024),Homebody (09-13-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
    When this question comes up there's one piece of advice I don't notice given I believe is an important detail. Don't put a snake, or other pet of this nature, on the floor of the vehicle because it gets too hot on long drives. Just trying to help. Good luck on your move!
    I've mentioned that in the past because on another forum, a member did exactly that & accidentally killed his favorite large boa on a multi-hour road trip. His truck floor wasn't insulated enough & the snake overheated- unable to escape the cloth bag & unable to signal any distress, it just expired by the time he stopped at his destination.

That's why snakes should always be bagged, then put in a well-insulated "cooler" of some time. They can also be killed just from the heat of sunlight streaming in thru car windows, so even the back seat can be dangerous without that insulation around them. So it's a hard "no" to carry snakes in their usual enclosures, plastic containers, snake bags, & so on, without the insulation around them.

Even on a short 10-minute trip in town, because you never know when your car might break down (A/C can fail), get stuck in traffic, get run into, or sidelined for some other reason...don't let your snakes die from lack of protection. Heat from the sun builds up quickly in vehicles.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-13-2024),Malum Argenteum (09-13-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,337 Times in 515 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Even on a short 10-minute trip in town, because you never know when your car might break down (A/C can fail), get stuck in traffic, get run into, or sidelined for some other reason...don't let your snakes die from lack of protection.
    I was bringing a couple geckos to the vet once, and was driving our old pickup for another quick errand on the way. Before I got to the vet, the fuel tank completely fell off the truck (it wasn't that much of a beater, but the tank straps were rusted it turns out). I couldn't even wait in the truck while someone came to pick me up (fuel fire risk). It was cold, and I had to sit in the ditch for about an hour, but I had the geckos in a styrofoam box with heat packs and they were fine.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-13-2024),Homebody (09-13-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I was bringing a couple geckos to the vet once, and was driving our old pickup for another quick errand on the way. Before I got to the vet, the fuel tank completely fell off the truck (it wasn't that much of a beater, but the tank straps were rusted it turns out). I couldn't even wait in the truck while someone came to pick me up (fuel fire risk). It was cold, and I had to sit in the ditch for about an hour, but I had the geckos in a styrofoam box with heat packs and they were fine.
    Whew, awesome! Preparation for the unexpected saves lives. Your disaster reminds me of my funniest van break-down: (That van turned out to be quite needy & we eventually parted company. )
    I had no sooner turned off the main road onto the side street a block from my home when my accelerator pedal dropped to the floor & remained there, lifeless. All I could do was coast to the side of the road & walk the rest of the way home, & be thankful it happened where it did- just the linkage broke- & also that I had no animals with me that day. That was in the CA desert- where getting stuck can be deadly, so you always carry water if you're wise.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-13-2024),Malum Argenteum (09-13-2024)