Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,912

0 members and 1,912 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons
    Thanks

PVC and Heat Tape

While looking for pvc enclosures, I came across Apex Reptiles. I really like the modularity of their enclosures, and given the 6-8 week lead times I intend to order soon. I'm tempted to get a 3x2x2 (instead of straight for 4x2x2) since I could expand it later if necessary, but I think sticking to 2 foot increments will give me better stacking compatibility with other enclosures.

The Apex Reptiles website swears pvc insulates too well for UTH to be safe. From what I've gathered here UTH is necessary, and heat tape is typically used with pvc. Am I correct that the UTH is necessary, and that I should ignore the website's warnings?

I plan to maintain ambient heat with an 80W vivarium electronics radiant heat panel and a pulse-proportional thermostat. Should I put the heat tape on a pulse-proportional thermostat as well, or will the on/off thermostats I'm using in my current setup (for CHE and heat pad) suffice?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,302 Posts

Re: PVC and Heat Tape

I find these enclosures intriguing. What do you plan to put into it?
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

Good question, I had forgotten to include that. The 3x2x2 or 4x2x2 will be for my young ball python. She's still doing fine in her current setup, but it'd be nice to move her to pvc in a couple of months for the winter humidity drop. This isn't time sensitive, but I'm also looking forward to not needing the CHE setup.

I also plan to get a morelia bredli soon, probably before winter shuts down reptile shipping. I'd probably put it in a 2x2x2 immediately after quarantine, then expand that to 4x2x2 and beyond as it grows.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gobuchul For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-05-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,981 Times in 5,584 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gobuchul View Post
    The Apex Reptiles website swears pvc insulates too well for UTH to be safe. From what I've gathered here UTH is necessary, and heat tape is typically used with pvc. Am I correct that the UTH is necessary, and that I should ignore the website's warnings?
    There are tons of PVC cages and racks out there being used just fine with UTH heaters whether it's a pad or heat tape. Maybe you misread something or they mistyped something? No big deal. Either way, if you're getting a RHP then that's plenty good. No need to have both.
    1.0 normal bp

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Gobuchul (09-06-2024),Homebody (09-05-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    There are tons of PVC cages and racks out there being used just fine with UTH heaters whether it's a pad or heat tape. Maybe you misread something or they mistyped something? No big deal. Either way, if you're getting a RHP then that's plenty good. No need to have both.
    It says it unambiguously and in a few different places on the site, so I am certain that it was not a typo or misread. I've seen someone here say the RHP alone doesn't get enough heat into the warm side hide, but others that agree with you that the RHP is enough. I'd like to just use the RHP because not dealing with UTH would be nice, but if others reading this disagree please lmk.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,656 Posts
    In a 2' tall enclosure, no, the RHP will not get a hide on the floor up to an 88 degree basking/warm spot temp. There will need to be an elevated hide area beneath the RHP accessible to the animal to achieve that temp for the warm hide.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gobuchul (09-06-2024),Homebody (09-05-2024)

Thanks

While looking for pvc enclosures, I came across Apex Reptiles. I really like the modularity of their enclosures, and given the 6-8 week lead times I intend to order soon. I'm tempted to get a 3x2x2 (instead of straight for 4x2x2) since I could expand it later if necessary, but I think sticking to 2 foot increments will give me better stacking compatibility with other enclosures.

I plan to maintain ambient heat with an 80W vivarium electronics radiant heat panel and a pulse-proportional thermostat. Should I put the heat tape on a pulse-proportional thermostat as well, or will the on/off thermostats I'm using in my current setup (for CHE and heat pad) suffice?
    I really like the modular design of these enclosures, as well. Very versatile. Snakes change over time. Collections change over time. I imagine it will be a big help to be able to modify an existing enclosure rather than having to purchase a new one.

As for your heat question, I have an 80w VE RHP in a 3x2x2 enclosure and I can reach temps of 95+, but the basking spot is only about a foot from the heat panel. So, if you have trouble reaching basking temps, it's easy enough to elevate the basking spot closer to the RHP. Just use a box or shelf.
    Last edited by Homebody; 09-05-2024 at 06:46 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Gobuchul (09-06-2024)

Thanks

Should I put the heat tape on a pulse-proportional thermostat as well, or will the on/off thermostats I'm using in my current setup (for CHE and heat pad) suffice?
    I've been regulating my heat tape with an on/off thermostat for three years. No problems, though I'm using the tape to heat a tub and not a pvc enclosure.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Gobuchul (09-07-2024)