Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 624

0 members and 624 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,216
Threads: 248,623
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Sharon84
    Thanks

First time live feeding, advice?

First time owning a snake (beautiful spotnose named Monet <3) and first time live feeding, I’m pretty nervous. I had no luck in trying a thawed rat but she’s still fairly new to her enclosure. I’m planning on feeding her tomorrow but I’m worried about the rat seeing as I got it today. What should I offer the rat for hydration and feed? I want it to be well for my BP but I’m admittedly in the dark about this. It’s a pup if that’s important, my BP was hatched in April.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,960 Times in 11,928 Posts
    You say it's a rat pup- are the eyes open or closed? For rats & mice, eyes open means they will fight (bite) back, but eyes closed are no danger to the snake. And in terms of food, eyes closed means it wasn't weaned yet, it was still nursing. Eyes open will take variety of solid food & water.

And for hatchling BPs, the normal "first food" (unless undersized) is a hopper mouse. You might want to refer to some of the sources of frozen prey & compare the size (wt.) of the feeder you bought to that of hopper mice- to ensure that your prey isn't overly large.

You said you had no luck offering a thawed rat? Did you warm it first? BPs rely on their heat sensing pits to recognize their prey- they like it warm. After thawing, many have luck using a blow dryer right before offering it. Getting her on f/t prey is kinder for the prey (rats are intelligent) & safer for your snake.

Another reason snakes refuse food is when they're in a new home. How long have you had her? Usually best not to try to feed a new snake for a week or 2- also avoid handling, as that's a distraction & causes them stress, even when it's not obvious to you.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-09-2024 at 12:25 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (06-09-2024)

Thanks

Re: First time live feeding, advice?

Thank you!! They eyes were closed on the live, I did manage to get her to eat the live one. But I agree, after this I think I’ll keep trying f/t, I did warm it but I don’t think I let it thaw for a long enough time. I’ve been researching like it’s my job so I know more for next time! I’ve had her a little over a week now, it was time for her to feed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 461 Posts
    If the snake was eating FT before you got it, I would recommend trying everything to continue that. Having a live feeder is way less than ideal.

It would be a good idea to find out exactly how the snake prefers its prey presented (on tongs or on a plate, in the hide box, temp of the prey item, etc) and replicate that exactly. It is also a good idea to find out how the breeder was keeping the snake (enclosure size/type/temps) and replicate that as closely as possible; a snake that comes from a warm rack will not respond well to a cool fish tank, for example.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-09-2024)

Thanks
    Your snake could use more time to settle in its new home.
    I feed my BP F/T. When I take the rat out to thaw I treat it as I do frozen my own food and give it at least two days to thaw in the fridge before I warm it up to feed. Different species I know, but I think the method is the same for feeding. My snake hasn't missed a meal yet.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mistergreen For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (06-09-2024)