Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,314

1 members and 2,313 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala
    Thanks

looking ideas for keeping muliple tanks without taking up too much space

Hi,

I have had my current Ball Python for 8 years and she is great.
    For the first time since bringing her home, I am considering getting another but I need to find a way that use the least space possible. I have been looking at different ways I might be able to stack the housing but am hoping to find a way to not have to buy a new tank for both snakes. My current python, Una, is about 3.5 feet long and she is in a 3 foot long tank, so I don't want to reduce the size of her tank I had actually been planning on getting a larger tank for her. I am wondering if some metal shelving like they sell at Home Depot would work. I am hoping some of you may have worked out similar issues in the past.

I have to admit, I was in a store with a friend today and saw this little BP that looked a little dull and like I need to help him. But I can't help him if I can't house him properly.

Thanks so much!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to animallover70 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-10-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 449 Posts
    Your BP should have an upsized enclosure at some point soon, so now may be the time to get her one that stacks. The most stackable (and better than glass tanks in every other way too) enclosures are PVC. Not sure what options there are in Canada, but I would imagine there are plenty of people providing them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-11-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,937 Times in 11,914 Posts
    And yes, sturdy metal or other shelving sold in home improvement stores can work also. Many ways to do things, but make sure the distance between shelves leave good clearance to make servicing the tank easy...otherwise, you'll hate it. (Obviously I'm assuming your tank is top-opening.)

While I'm a tank fan myself (also not a BP-keeper), the PVC enclosures do have a lot "going for them" in terms of stacking & saving space.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-10-2024 at 07:35 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-11-2024),Malum Argenteum (05-10-2024)

Thanks

Re: looking ideas for keeping muliple tanks without taking up too much space

Thanks.
    I agree it’s time for a larger tank. I currently use an exo Terra so it does open at the top.
    I am thinking PVC might be the best option. We have a reptile store near by that caries them.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to animallover70 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-10-2024),dakski (05-10-2024),Homebody (05-11-2024),Malum Argenteum (05-10-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,997 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by animallover70 View Post
    Hi,

I have had my current Ball Python for 8 years and she is great.
    For the first time since bringing her home, I am considering getting another but I need to find a way that use the least space possible. I have been looking at different ways I might be able to stack the housing but am hoping to find a way to not have to buy a new tank for both snakes. My current python, Una, is about 3.5 feet long and she is in a 3 foot long tank, so I don't want to reduce the size of her tank I had actually been planning on getting a larger tank for her. I am wondering if some metal shelving like they sell at Home Depot would work. I am hoping some of you may have worked out similar issues in the past.

I have to admit, I was in a store with a friend today and saw this little BP that looked a little dull and like I need to help him. But I can't help him if I can't house him properly.

Thanks so much!!
    Forgive me … I haven’t read through any of the comments

I was short of space in my snake room / man cave so I simply stacked the wooden vivs on top of each other.. mainly double stacked but a couple of stacks of three vivs

The main thing to remember is that heat rises so have the warm ends matching up .

I used to put a piece/pieces of wood in the middle of the lower vivs to add some strength/support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-14-2024)

Thanks

Thanks for the tip.