Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,238

2 members and 1,236 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,759
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,300 Posts

Re: Ball Python Uses Small Hide. Is She Stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Gobuchul View Post
    I'll be ready to upgrade the enclosure when the time comes. In the meantime I want to replace the paper in this enclosure with better looking fake foliage, but I consider it low priority and haven't gotten around to it. I have a nearly unlimited supply of used notebook paper, so it's easier to just keep replacing that for now.

I'm regulating the CHE using a thermostat with a probe suction-cupped to the warm side short wall, and the heat mat using a thermostat with a probe between the mat and the bottom of the plastic. This setup seems to keep the temps within 1-2 degrees fahrenheit of target values when the room varies by 5 degrees either way. The ambient temps rise when the room temperature increases, so I hoped putting the CHE probe very close to the wall (which should have its temperature affected more by the room than the middle of the enclosure) would mitigate this, but I think putting the probe in a hide or something might also be effective.

My only issue with the heating is that the surface temp of the plastic beneath the hides is 88, but ticking the thermostat up a degree brings it to like 93. I figure 88 is fine even with some variance and preferable to potentially getting too warm by sitting around 93, but it annoys me that I can't bring it to 89 or 90. I have a spare thermostat, so I might try making some sort of "and" gate to improve it.
    I understand. Regulating temps in a sterlite tub is a constant struggle. That's one thing you can look forward to when you upgrade. Regulating temps in a pvc or plywood enclosure is much easier.

I wouldn't trust those suction cups to hold the probe in place, but I see you also have the probe wire duct taped in place and the probe wire's sandwiched between the side and the lid. So, that should be secure enough.

I wouldn't prioritize fake foliage either. Your snake doesn't care. The only difference is appearance and your enclosure isn't set up for visual appeal anyway.
    Last edited by Homebody; 04-10-2024 at 02:13 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-10-2024),Malum Argenteum (04-10-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I'm a proponent of offering a range of hides (sizes; materials; locations; moisture levels) and letting the snake choose which they prefer. The more options I give, the closer the snake will get to satisfying their preference. Also, I'll learn something about the snake based on what it prefers (which is how scientific research leads to knowledge about animal preferences, too). It may be interesting to swap the positions of those two hides to see if the snake changes its preferred spot; it may be that they're taking that hide for its position or temperature.

It isn't unusual for a snake to prefer a very tight hide, and I wouldn't take away anything unless it's causing or likely to cause harm.
    This ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MichPlat For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (08-06-2024)

Thanks

Couple of days after I moved, snake was out. She was more up against the wall than usual. I think this is still just her being hungry because she seemed interested when I showed up, but eventually fled back into a hide after I sat nearby to write this up. I don't see any damage to her head that would indicate actual pushing.

She's had a growth spurt recently and looks almost as long as the enclosure. I believe her weight is above 350 grams. I'll make sure she eats again a few days before I change anything (I anticipate no problems with that,) but I think she could handle a larger enclosure.

I'll be moving to a more permanent apartment in 4 weeks, so it'd be kind of convenient to keep the enclosure the same until then. For now I'll just change her substrate back to fiber. Will she be ready for a 4x2x2 enclosure in a month, or am I way jumping the gun here?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gobuchul For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-11-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,337 Times in 515 Posts
    I have had ocassional issues upsizing snakes too soon (refusal to eat). In these situations, putting the snake back into the smaller enclosure for some more growing solved the problem. So, if you hang on to the current enclosure you can undo the change if that's the preference the snake indicates.

Given that there's basically no visual security in the current setup, I would not anticipate a problem with upsizing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-11-2024)

Thanks

I have had ocassional issues upsizing snakes too soon (refusal to eat). In these situations, putting the snake back into the smaller enclosure for some more growing solved the problem. So, if you hang on to the current enclosure you can undo the change if that's the preference the snake indicates.

Given that there's basically no visual security in the current setup, I would not anticipate a problem with upsizing.
    Yeah, I don't think elevating the enclosure off the floor did good things for visual security. Putting real substrate back in should mitigate the effect of that though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gobuchul For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (08-06-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,337 Times in 515 Posts

Yeah, I don't think elevating the enclosure off the floor did good things for visual security. Putting real substrate back in should mitigate the effect of that though.
    Both probably true. The clear/translucent sides make a pretty big difference in some cases, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,721 Times in 3,035 Posts

I'm a proponent of offering a range of hides (sizes; materials; locations; moisture levels) and letting the snake choose which they prefer. The more options I give, the closer the snake will get to satisfying their preference. Also, I'll learn something about the snake based on what it prefers (which is how scientific research leads to knowledge about animal preferences, too). It may be interesting to swap the positions of those two hides to see if the snake changes its preferred spot; it may be that they're taking that hide for its position or temperature.

It isn't unusual for a snake to prefer a very tight hide, and I wouldn't take away anything unless it's causing or likely to cause harm.
    I find this an intelligent and well thought out response.

No reptile is stupid they don't have many ways to communicate with us. They survive because of basic instincts and we are the ones that have to learn how to accommodate them.

Reptiles will gravitate to areas that support their basic needs.

If you provide several climate and hide options and the animal stays in one area only, that is a sign that something is working and other things may not be working.

I see my animals in a variety of areas within their cages. Typically after a meal they seek the warmer areas. That area could be a perch right under the RHP or on the floor under the RHP.

Studying one animal in a collection takes months and maybe even a year or two.

I notice movements and preferences within the cage based on various factors.

A shed may cause certain behavior. A meal changes things.

Security is another factor and it is something that could cause an animal to forego a heated area to digest in favor of not getting eaten (theoretically) by choosing a cooler secure area.

I have always provided the same type of hide on both sides of the cage until I can determine the patterns of the animals I keep.

Reading the animal is very important and knowing the cues they are giving us is critical.

I recommend studying and learning what their wild habits are and making decisions based on science, and what long time successful keepers have done.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-06-2024),Homebody (08-11-2024),Malum Argenteum (08-07-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I find this an intelligent and well thought out response.

No reptile is stupid they don't have many ways to communicate with us. They survive because of basic instincts and we are the ones that have to learn how to accommodate them.

Reptiles will gravitate to areas that support their basic needs.

If you provide several climate and hide options and the animal stays in one area only, that is a sign that something is working and other things may not be working.

I see my animals in a variety of areas within their cages. Typically after a meal they seek the warmer areas. That area could be a perch right under the RHP or on the floor under the RHP.

Studying one animal in a collection takes months and maybe even a year or two.

I notice movements and preferences within the cage based on various factors.

A shed may cause certain behavior. A meal changes things.

Security is another factor and it is something that could cause an animal to forego a heated area to digest in favor of not getting eaten (theoretically) by choosing a cooler secure area.

I have always provided the same type of hide on both sides of the cage until I can determine the patterns of the animals I keep.

Reading the animal is very important and knowing the cues they are giving us is critical.

I recommend studying and learning what their wild habits are and making decisions based on science, and what long time successful keepers have done.
    I don't believe in science, but I'll do what Malum says.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,175 Times in 12,056 Posts

I don't believe in science.....
    Well, look around you. Almost everything you use is available because of science.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-07-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Well, look around you. Almost everything you use is available because of science.
    Unfortunate for science, I have scammed it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast