Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,020

2 members and 2,018 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,172
Threads: 248,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Ro55y5

Thread: RI Help

Thanks

RI Help

I've had two bp's that I've been treating for RI's. One had an RI from the time I opened her shipping box, the other got it while in my care, and I think it was due to her humidity running a little high before we got it stabilized. We really don't have an exotic vet in town, but one that sees reptiles and he did cultures and put them on Ceftazidime injections every 3 days and daily baytril orally. They seem to be improving, but not completely...shouldn't they be better by now? Now one of them has an almost bloated look from her mid-section down and you can literally feel the air moving around in her, I'm a little scared I'm doing more damage than good at this point, but the vet seems confident in the treatment. Would love some advice!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,946 Times in 11,918 Posts

Re: RI Help

Quote Originally Posted by LYONExotics View Post
    ...They seem to be improving, but not completely...shouldn't they be better by now? ....
    No idea how long they've been sick from this post, so that's impossible to say. When did you get the first snake? And the second?

Has the first one been kept in strict quarantine from the other? If not, the second one may have caught what the first one brought.

I don't think humidity by itself can actually cause an RI*- only facilitate whatever pathogens are lurking, & their immune resistance is reduced from the stress of shipping & being in a scary new home- I'm not saying "your" home is scary, just that ALL new places are scary for snakes, so they can get sick easier.

I'm not familiar with giving antibiotics orally to snakes- they're usually not thought to be effective that way, & therefore are usually injected. Antibiotics are also not harmless- they do have side effects- they're a bit rough on a snake's body (stomach, liver, kidney) & especially 2 at the same time. BTW, while I'm thinking about it- after antibiotic treatments are completed, consider adding reptile probiotics to their prey for a while, to help their stomach. (either Nutribac or Bene-Bac)

Are you giving the injections or is the vet? If it's you, have you asked the vet about the snake being bloated- or puffy with air? You need to ask a.s.a.p.-I'd be very concerned about that.

If you need another vet- one more experienced with herps- may I suggest this site: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

In my experience, vets (& other doctors) usually project confidence in their treatment- we'd run the other way if they didn't, so right or wrong, they're usually "confident". I wish it meant that they're always right- but you'll have to be the judge.

There's not much help we can be online, unfortunately- we cannot take the place of real veterinary care. I hope they both recover & soon. Did your vet say what the culture showed? What are they being treated for? What are their expectations?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-04-2022 at 05:29 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-04-2022),dakski (04-04-2022),LYONExotics (04-07-2022),Malum Argenteum (04-05-2022)

Thanks

Thanks for the advice and info. They've had it well over a month at this point, sorry I forgot to add that in the first post. I did mention the bloating to the vet and he suggested soaking which we've been doing, luckily it seems to be going down. The vet did do cultures and he gave me the report which was full of big words that I don't necessarily understand lol, but he did say it was bacterial for both of them. They are improving but it sure seems like it's been a long road. Do you have a recommendation for the probiotic for once they are finished with the antibiotic? Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,946 Times in 11,918 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LYONExotics View Post
    ... Do you have a recommendation for the probiotic for once they are finished with the antibiotic? Thanks again for the advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    ...BTW, while I'm thinking about it- after antibiotic treatments are completed, consider adding reptile probiotics to their prey for a while, to help their stomach. (either Nutribac or Bene-Bac) ...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (04-07-2022),Homebody (04-08-2022),LYONExotics (04-07-2022)