Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,180

0 members and 1,180 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,589
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala

Threaded View

Thanks

Re: Looking for advice from more experienced keepers

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear this. How did the previous vets miss that? Please do share this knowledge every chance you get that with female snakes, it's always possible for them to attempt reproduction entirely on their own with no mates around. It's how many species tries their best to survive. It also doesn't matter if they're snakes that have live babies or lays eggs.

Egg-binding kills, & sadly, it's slow. So sorry for your loss. Too bad the ER vet wasn't the first one you saw, but then you'd probably have needed a vet with the skills to surgically spay her. I had a rat snake many years ago that developed an ectopic pregnancy & she successfully had such a surgery, but you need a real experienced herp/exotic vet for that, otherwise euthanasia would be the kindest thing.

May she rest in peace.
    I'm confused about how not one but TWO vets missed an egg bound snake... I mean the big lump we were concerned with was in the first third of her body so maybe they just didn't x-ray far enough. But when we brought her to the second vet it was because her vent wasn't closing and her tail was limp.

I definitely will continue to share all my knowledge with anyone who will listen. I really hope it helps someone else in the future.

I'm just glad she's finally not in pain anymore after our long fight trying to get her better. In interesting news, the emergency vet we took her to told us that she was the oldest corn snake the vet has ever seen and seemed well taken care of...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2021)