Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,710

1 members and 2,709 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wet egg set up!

Thanks

Re: Wet egg set up!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBalls View Post
    On the press and seal i can't see that doing to much as I think condensation is mainly a temp problem and nothing to do with humidity.

I've never used it its actually impossible to get it here. Not even a copy product. I digress, but I wouldn't have any advise on that.

Out of interest is there condensation on the underside (inside) of the poly box lid?
    Yes, it’s all on the sides and on the lid, when I open it it literally rains

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    You could also try duct taping a paper towel to the lid, hopefully it will absorb the excess condensation without lowering the humidity too much.
    I’m guess that b an issue eventually opening it up to change towels ?
    I’m thinking of fabricating a runoff system

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattEvans View Post
    I had the same issue last year with my first clutches. 1) I think you have too much water in your incubation medium. 2) its being caused by a temperature difference between the inside and outside of your tub.

What I did was before I had eggs I was wiping the top down with a paper towel everytime it had a lot of droplets. As I removed the excess moisture building up. Eventually the time between needing to wipe the drops increased. Too where I only wiped the container twice during the time it had eggs inside.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    So your basically eliminating water lil by lil ...letting the water balance eventually ? How will you know you have removed enough? My fear is removing too much and I run into that issue later.. I read it is easier to add than remove .. so I’m tryna find a medium now

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If only the drips would stick to a schedule so as not to drown the eggs.
    They going to learn today !! Lol

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniex2 View Post
    That is an amazing idea!! I truly appreciate this .. I wouldn’t have thought of a slope

I sure wouldn't have either. I hope that works for you. You might also dry the top really well, & then rub it with barely a tiny bit of cooking oil, so the water slides off better. By now, there might be tiny mineral deposits that drops could stick to.

As I said before, I've hatched plenty of snake eggs but never BPs. BP eggs apparently need more warmth & humidity than the eggs I've worked with, so my for all that you have to go thru.

My methods with colubrid eggs were very low-tech- The clear plastic wrap let me see what was going on, & the tiny bit of condensation next to the pin-holes told me I had the right humidity- any more condensation than that & I opened it up for a while to air out.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (05-04-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniex2 View Post
    So your basically eliminating water lil by lil ...letting the water balance eventually ? How will you know you have removed enough? My fear is removing too much and I run into that issue later.. I read it is easier to add than remove .. so I’m tryna find a medium now

If you measure 1:1 by weight water to incubation medium. You should be able to squeeze it into clumps without any excess water dripping out. When you touch it, it doesn't really feel wet. Breeders will use press and seal and never touch it again until eggs are hatching.
    If your incubator has air flow from the outside you will lose humidity as the air outside the incubator will eventually equalise with the air inside.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MattEvans For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (05-04-2021)

Thanks

[QUOTE=MattEvans;2755961]If you measure 1:1 by weight water to incubation medium. You should be able to squeeze it into clumps without any excess water dripping out. When you touch it, it doesn't really feel wet. Breeders will use press and seal and never touch it again until eggs are hatching...[QUOTE]

That's what I did for the incubation medium (vermiculite + water). And the nice thing about plastic wrap is being able to see right thru it- what's going on with the eggs, without opening it up.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MattEvans (05-04-2021),Ronniex2 (05-04-2021)

Thanks
    And in all honesty, I only really measured the water & vermiculite the first time I incubated snake eggs. After that I just went by feel & appearance of the mix- I don't think "mother nature" measures either, so I've always been pretty "casual" in my methods, compared to most of you here. Of course it was never my livelihood either- admittedly that could make a difference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattEvans View Post
    I had the same issue last year with my first clutches. 1) I think you have too much water in your incubation medium. 2) its being caused by a temperature difference between the inside and outside of your tub.

What I did was before I had eggs I was wiping the top down with a paper towel everytime it had a lot of droplets. As I removed the excess moisture building up. Eventually the time between needing to wipe the drops increased. Too where I only wiped the container twice during the time it had eggs inside.

Can condensation be caused by number 1? Not sure why I thought the level of water didn't affect condensation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBalls View Post
    Can condensation be caused by number 1? Not sure why I thought the level of water didn't affect condensation.
    Obviously yes. When I got excessive condensation, all I had to do to fix it was open it up (take off the plastic) for a while so some moisture could escape. I think you'll find it's always better to go "light" on the water you add- you can always add more, but it's harder to pull out the excessive water. Granted my incubation set-up was different than yours, but I don't think that changes anything.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

IrishBalls (05-04-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast