Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 958

2 members and 956 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

D3rv (47)

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,612
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99

Thread: Rat pup

Thanks

Rat pup

Sorry for the long post...
    So I went to pick up a rat pup today for Mamba. It's only my 3rd time feeding him since I got him 2 weeks ago. The first day I got him, he hadn't eaten yet. Prev owner said he only ate asf and he had him on a good feeding schedule every sunday 2 asf. Now since there wasnt an asf available to feed him that day (or readily available period), that very next day I went to the only store here in Austin that sells live and got a pinky. Took him a whole 2 min to snatch him up. So since he ate that with no issues, last weekend I went and picked up 2 rat pups. One was black and white, the other was all white. I put the white one in and he didnt seem very interested in it. Left him in there a few minutes and then took him out and put in the black/white one and probably took him about 5 minutes to take him. Tried feeding him the 2nd one but he never was interested in it. It ended up dying, but I wasnt too worried since he had at least eaten 1. Today its feeding day again. Went to get just 1 rat pup. It's a little bigger than the last one and a lot more lively. It was crawling all over the place, even crawled on top of Mamba, which I didnt like and neither did he. So I carefully moved the rat off of him. He seemed very interested and even was in strike stance, but he lost interest and never took it. Do they care what color their prey is?? Took him out of the tub I feed him in and put him back in his tank. Does any one else ever have this happen where the rat climbs all over your bp? Thanks for any feed back.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Rat pup

I have never had a problem with color but maybe moving him to a different tub is stressful. I'm sure one of the experienced keepers will chime in but moving him around before feeding would be my guess. There is really no proven evidence of enclosure aggression because you feed him in his full time enclosure.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DandD For This Useful Post:

HPMamba (12-23-2018),MR Snakes (12-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,955 Times in 11,924 Posts
    Some others (but by no means all) keeping BPs have also noticed that their BP shows a color preference when it comes to their prey. It's easy to speculate that
    this could be the result of the snake previously getting bit & now the snake has a negative association with other prey of the same color, but it doesn't happen with
    all BPs....it's just a guess.

FYI, it's best to feed in evening/night* hours, when BPs normally hunt. And it's best to feed them IN their normal enclosure, not in another container, as handling
    before feeding can stress them into not feeding, & handling them before or after feeding is more likely to get YOU bit. *btw, dim the room lights too & keep still.

Also: BPs are ambush-hunters...most feed best when they feel safe in their hide & just peeking out: that's what they're doing...waiting for a clueless rodent to hop
    on by to grab. When a snake is cruising it's cage, many feel way too exposed (they're at risk from predators when THEY stop to eat!) so they commonly refuse.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

DandD (12-23-2018),HPMamba (12-23-2018),MR Snakes (12-23-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Some others (but by no means all) keeping BPs have also noticed that their BP shows a color preference when it comes to their prey. It's easy to speculate that
    this could be the result of the snake previously getting bit & now the snake has a negative association with other prey of the same color, but it doesn't happen with
    all BPs....it's just a guess.

FYI, it's best to feed in evening/night* hours, when BPs normally hunt. And it's best to feed them IN their normal enclosure, not in another container, as handling
    before feeding can stress them into not feeding, & handling them before or after feeding is more likely to get YOU bit. *btw, dim the room lights too & keep still.

Also: BPs are ambush-hunters...most feed best when they feel safe in their hide & just peeking out: that's what they're doing...waiting for a clueless rodent to hop
    on by to grab. When a snake is cruising it's cage, many feel way too exposed (they're at risk from predators when THEY stop to eat!) so they commonly refuse.
    This is why I love these forums... I would have never thought about associating color with a negative event. This place and you guys are how new keepers like myself and daughter manage to keep snakes with almost zero issues from the start.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DandD For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-23-2018),HPMamba (12-23-2018),MR Snakes (12-23-2018),RoyalLover (12-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    I've not experienced issues with the color of the rodent. My snakes have eaten black/white/grey etc... with no issues. My snakes also eat in the same enclosure they live in. I think it stresses them when you feed in a separate enclosure not to mention you open yourself up to getting bit because they associate moving to the new enclosure with feeding time. Just my opinion though. Its a hotly debated topic. I would look to husbandry and get that dialed in before I worried about the color of the prey.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

DandD (12-23-2018),HPMamba (12-23-2018),MR Snakes (12-23-2018)

Thanks

Thank you so much everyone. Got home around 10:15pm. Went straight for the rat and dropped him in Mamba's regular tank, literally like 35 seconds he snatched it up and gone. I was starting to think he was a picky eater. Ha, nope. No issues. Oh and btw I weighed him at the zookeeper store where I buy his food and he weighs 530g. Prev owner said he was 12 months old. What do yall think?

Last edited by HPMamba; 12-24-2018 at 01:15 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HPMamba For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-24-2018),cletus (12-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HPMamba View Post
    Thank you so much everyone. Got home around 10:15pm. Went straight for the rat and dropped him in Mamba's regular tank, literally like 35 seconds he snatched it up and gone. I was starting to think he was a picky eater. Ha, nope. No issues. Oh and btw I weighed him at the zookeeper store where I buy his food and he weighs 530g. Prev owner said he was 12 months old. What do yall think?

JW if the zookeeper store has other snakes. I saw xina mention one time that taking your snake to a pet store with other snakes could open it up to mites or other sickness that's cruising around that place

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DandD For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DandD View Post
    JW if the zookeeper store has other snakes. I saw xina mention one time that taking your snake to a pet store with other snakes could open it up to mites or other sickness that's cruising around that place
    I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,955 Times in 11,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DandD View Post
    Exactly... Where I live (& maybe everywhere, since it's a chain?) Petco holds "reptile rallies" where they show off pets for sale but where customers can also bring
    in their own snakes etc. to share...as tempting as that is, it's another big risk for mites. And who knows what else?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

HPMamba (12-24-2018)