Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,015

3 members and 1,012 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,589
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heat

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Heat

Quote Originally Posted by ben463 View Post
    Sorry if I didn’t explain it good. I have a heat pad that is under the tank the heat pad is plugged into the thermostat. The thermostat is set at 91 degrees. There is a probe attachted to the thermostat and the probe lays on top of the coconut shavings in the hide. When she goes in the hide she goes over the probe and heats it up, so it says that it 91 in the hide when she is in there. But I don’t think that’s the actual temp because when she leaves the hide it drops to 83 then heats back up to 91.
    Youve got the idea just wrong order..with the probe on top of your substrate it is not measuring the temperature of the heat pad or the glass which could be much hotter than the substrate above. If the substrate moves or the snake Burrows the ssnake canget burned. You must put the probe between the glass and your heat mat. Then you use a lazer thermometer or a thermometer with a probe on the inside glass floor of the tank under the substrate, never on top of your Wood chips or whatever your substrate is. This is why your temperature is getting all screwed up, the probe is not measuring your heat Mats temp. Thats dangerous. The Thermostat/probe reading should always be within a couple degrees of what you have it set for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarshall View Post
    the thermostat probe should not be in the enclosure; it should be sandwiched between the Uth and bottom of the tank. You may need to set it a few degrees higher to get the 90 degree temp you’re looking for inside he cage.
    Ok!

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Also when you check the Temp of the Matt inside the tank, check all different places as heat Tape/Mats etc.. have dif readings depending how the wire runs threw them. Take the hottest temp and use that as a guide. If your enclosure is glass you shouldnt need to set the tstat higher than what you want on the inside glass floor.. of course a thicker enclosure you may need 94 outside to get 91 inside like others mentioned, not so with glass.. and let it regulate for a few hours before you think its all set.. it can take a day before you get it just right..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12