Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,159

2 members and 2,157 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112
    Thanks

Adult Burmese feeding frequency?

So I've been researching and deciding between a Retic and a Burm for several months now and weighing the advantages and disadvantages to each, but leaning on a male Burm at this point slightly (a hypo granite, or a normal hypo perhaps). Retics, from what I understand are much more frequent feeders with a few members here specifying that they keep a 10 day feeding schedule for their adult retics. The little bit of information I've found on adult burmese feeding schedules seem to suggest an approximate 4 week feeding schedule once they hit the medium size rabbit stage, which would suggest they have a much slower metabolism....does this sound right?

Our care sheet for BPnet does not specify feeding info beyond hatchling stage.

Thanks,

Kevin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Not sure I would base my decision to buy one snake or the other based on feeding frequency. I think it really depends on the age and size of the snake and the size of the prey item. I would think both would have a pretty slow metabolism when they reach adult size. I do know a young retics metabolism is off the charts, they can eat every four days and turn that big rat lump into nothing and look anorexic very quickly. Now that my retic weighs about 35 pounds I feed her an adult rat once every couple weeks or so and she is happy. Of course she is 50% dwarf so she is pretty much full grown at this point. If you fed a full sized retic a small goat or pig they could probably go for months before eating again LOL. If you are considering the costs of feeding and want cheap food you can usually get free roosters (chickens) off of Craig's list.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 01-02-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks

Re: Adult Burmese feeding frequency?

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    Not sure I would base my decision to buy one snake or the other based on feeding frequency. I think it really depends on the age and size of the snake and the size of the prey item. I would think both would have a pretty slow metabolism when they reach adult size. I do know a young retics metabolism is off the charts, they can eat every four days and turn that big rat lump into nothing and look anorexic very quickly. Now that my retic weighs about 35 pounds I feed her an adult rat once every couple weeks or so and she is happy. Of course she is 50% dwarf so she is pretty much full grown at this point. If you fed a full sized retic a small goat or pig they could probably go for months before eating again LOL. If you are considering the costs of feeding and want cheap food you can usually get free roosters (chickens) off of Craig's list.
    My decision is definitely not based off of feeding frequency alone, I was just curious as to the answer. I actually have a farm that produces feeder rabbits right down the road from me so access to affordable bunnies is pretty easy. A dwarf retic was definitely an option for me as well, however, the selection of them recently seems to be almost non-existent on sites like MorphMarket and Kingsnake, and due to other friends having bad experiences I won't purchase from Prehistoric, but that's all I'm going to say about that shop....

Thanks

Re: Adult Burmese feeding frequency?

Keep in mind each individual snake will vary regardless of species. I've seen a good amount of retics who are both food crazy and those who could care less. My retic was a garbage disposal when he was younger but has slowed down a lot the last few months. Now my burm eats more than the retic does

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    1.0 purple retic
    0.1 albino green burm
    2.0 bci
    0.1 coastal carpet
    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Ball python
    1.0 Western hog

1.0 Alaskan Malamute