Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,998

1 members and 1,997 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Calling all Computer Geeks!;)

OP, I'll refer you to this post by Kaspersky, the makers of Malwarebytes.....

https://blog.kaspersky.com/multiple-...bad-idea/2670/

Running two programs is a waste of resources. If your program is missing things, it's a poor antivirus and should be dropped. If you insist on running two programs, only let one run and monitor your system in the background, otherwise you'll be back to square one with cruft taking over your system.

As for transferring your data to a new SSD, I forgot you'll need either an external hard drive or an external enclosure for your new SSD in order to temporarily transfer files or clone your data. If it were me, I'd copy my necessary files and start from scratch, reinstalling Windows just to be sure.

Temporary enclosure: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...op-magazine-20
    "If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." -RR

My friends live in tubs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spikeanoid For This Useful Post:

Fraido (08-22-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oxylepy View Post
    I have built 4 computers. 2 for myself and 2 for friends.

In the case of me building mine, I purchase in pieces. The most recent one started with the case, motherboard, ssd, cheap ram, psu, cpu, and finally the graphics card. I intend to put another ssd and a storage drive in it, expensive ram, etc. Oh, yeah, I also got a 3 120mm fan liquid cooler for the cpu and the peripherals. Took about 6 months to build so I could run it.
    A lot of work! I'd probably need help to do that, for sure. Definitely something I want to do though, when I have the time, money, and space.
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spikeanoid View Post
    You have plenty of ram. Don't buy more.

As for SSDs:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-750-E...ds=samsung+ssd

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-OCZ-T...4&keywords=ssd

Anything made by Samsung will be fast. Kingston, Toshiba, Crucial, and SanDisk all generally make good SSDs, to name a few brands. Once you have an SSD, defraging is no longer a requirement. In fact all it will do is put unnecessary wear on your drive.

You don't need to clean out cookies. Those are rarely the source of a slow computer... all that will do is erase your saved passwords and such. Also, it's a good idea NOT to run two antivirus software programs at the same time! They can conflict with each other, eating CPU cycles and fighting each other. If you insist on using AVG, stick with it and use only it. Malwarebytes is technically anti-malware, not anit-virus and doesn't run in the background like AVG will, so it's safe to use Malwarebytes in addition to antivirus software.
    Figured as much about the RAM!

I'll keep that in mind about not running a second antivirus, I thought that would be a bad idea when I read to remove any preexisting antivirus before installing the AVG.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spikeanoid View Post
    OP, I'll refer you to this post by Kaspersky, the makers of Malwarebytes.....

https://blog.kaspersky.com/multiple-...bad-idea/2670/

Running two programs is a waste of resources. If your program is missing things, it's a poor antivirus and should be dropped. If you insist on running two programs, only let one run and monitor your system in the background, otherwise you'll be back to square one with cruft taking over your system.

As for transferring your data to a new SSD, I forgot you'll need either an external hard drive or an external enclosure for your new SSD in order to temporarily transfer files or clone your data. If it were me, I'd copy my necessary files and start from scratch, reinstalling Windows just to be sure.

Temporary enclosure: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...op-magazine-20
    It's a lot of work to do this, as well! But I'll look into it regardless, it's something that I think I WILL do eventually, just might be awhile. Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction and what-not, it is incredibly helpful!

I may be adept at using my computer, but I know next to nothing about how it works and stuff! 😋

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    Figured as much about the RAM!

I'll keep that in mind about not running a second antivirus, I thought that would be a bad idea when I read to remove any preexisting antivirus before installing the AVG.
    Ignore what others have said about RAM, as they seem to be basing their opinion on limited anecdotal evidence, and not on any understanding of computer architecture. RAM is not only the most common bottleneck in a computer, but it can also be used in flexible ways that work around bottlenecks with other components i.e. frequently accessed files can be cached in RAM avoiding the need to go to disk which is hundreds of times slower. This is why RAM is referred to as primary storage, while hard drives and ssd's are secondary storage. RAM can also reduce CPU consumption by caching the results of compute heavy work, such as database queries which are now common in desktop environments as many applications include embedded databases.

Modern operating systems, and Windows especially, as well as web browsers the way they have evolved for the modern web, are also very RAM hungry, using a few GB's each at times, and I would advise a minimum of 8GB of RAM these days for casual users, and 16GB for power users.

For casual use, especially on a laptop, disk is actually less important as you're not crunching a lot of data. For the most part, you're just loading applications from disk into RAM. Once you have the applications already running, disk doesn't really matter much. If you don't have enough RAM though, your OS will try to create virtual memory on hard disk, which will not only make your applications slow as they have to page data in and out of RAM over to disk, but these operations will also use up a lot of disk operations, slowing down all other disk activity as well.

Replacing your hard disk with an SSD will also require either migrating your filesystem over as is, or reloading the OS from factory state requiring you to reinstall everything. Some laptop manufacturers also put some restrictions in their BIOS to restrict to models of components that only they sell. This is much more likely to happen with a disk drive than a RAM component.
    ~40 Ball Pythons (mostly Freeway/Asphalt, Bongo, GHI, and Leopard combos)
    3.8.3 Green Tree Pythons (mostly TM/TW blueline, a few Highland/Wamena)
    1.2 Children's Pythons
    1.2 Cay Caulker Boas
    1.2 Black Fuli House Snakes
    1.0.4 Amazon Tree Boas (1x tiger, 3x halloween garden, 1x garden)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hhw For This Useful Post:

Fraido (08-23-2016),Soord (09-08-2016)

Thanks

Interesting, okay. I will take that into consideration!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are you still having issues with your laptop?
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

It's been running a lot better since I did a few of the things you guys mentioned, not perfect but good. I think I'll just stick with this for as long as I can, and in a few years work on a great desktop setup.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    It's been running a lot better since I did a few of the things you guys mentioned, not perfect but good. I think I'll just stick with this for as long as I can, and in a few years work on a great desktop setup.

I can have your laptop running like new, send me a PM and I'll get you my phone number so I can ask some questions and walk you through some steps.

If SlitherninSisters is still around, she'll vouch for me when it comes to anything computer related lol. I've been building PC's since I was 13 and now I just more so do high end rigs.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123