Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 986

2 members and 984 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,217
Threads: 248,624
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ToddHarkey
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perch Size?

Thanks

Re: Perch Size?

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    What is the "Tall Boy" on the bottom? Is that a 3 footer?
    Yes, the base of each stack is an A20 - 2x4x3 (JCP and VBB), Ying the Bredli is in a T12 - 2x4x2, there's four T8s with dividers (BPs, corns, King, and milk), and the oddball 2x2 footprint from another company (spotted Python).

We started cleaning up the living room last night, and then the beagles found a couple bags with interesting smells this morning, so there's shredded paper from one end of the room to the other, on top of the layer of spilled/tracked aspen.
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks

Perch Size?

Got the cages done this weekend! Husband built the VBB's jungle gym on Saturday (Colubrids > Ratsnakes > Beauty Snakes thread for pictures), and on Sunday he built Bruce's. Put Bruce in, and he started exploring:

Bruce was such a good boy while I festooned vines a little later that afternoon, his head popped up out of his hide to see what I was doing, but he didn't try to escape or object, even when I was reaching in and working right over his hide (partly because he was about to shed, but still!).

After shedding overnight, Bruce spent most of the day more or less wrapped around the vertical leg going to the shelf. Mostly loosely, but I suspect it gives him an anchor/security blanket.

Yesterday husband built Ying's jungle gym. Not as elaborate as Bruce and the VBB's, since she's got the shorter cage. Husband even built around her bukkit perch/hide.

Pictures aren't the best, as Ying doesn't have a light yet. And we'll be upgrading the catches on all three big cages - the auxiliary catches are screwed in, so every time you use them you tighten or loosen them. We'll be replacing them with nylon bolts and wingnuts.

Bruce and the VBB's jungle gyms are made with nominal 3/4" PVC, which is 1" OD. We ended up with some thin-wall (partly leftovers from other projects), so we used that for the VBB, as he'll be long, but skinny. Ying's uses 3/4 for the base, uprights, and IIRC one of the perches. The other perches are nominal 1" (1-1/4" OD).

The bases are glued, but most of the upper structures are not, so we can make changes, ur upgrade Ying if/when she needs larger perches. In that case we'll have to either get creative with supports or completely replace it, as larger diameter PVC is categorized as drain lines, and Thou Shalt Not combine drain and supply lines.

Sent using software and hardware
    Last edited by Prognathodon; 05-31-2016 at 10:51 AM.
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

BigLou3 (05-31-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    FWIW I tend to find perches that are roughly the same diameter of the snake work well, at least that's what I did with carpet pythons.

When they got big enough I stopped using perches and had a raised shelf about half as deep as the enclosure.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,599 Times in 2,996 Posts

Re: Perch Size?

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    FWIW I tend to find perches that are roughly the same diameter of the snake work well, at least that's what I did with carpet pythons.

When they got big enough I stopped using perches and had a raised shelf about half as deep as the enclosure.
    Do you still have your coastal?

I haven't seen you post here for 2 years, maybe longer unless I'm just not catching the threads.

I'd like to see your carpets if you still have them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    Nah unfortunately about two years ago I got married, uprooted, moved out of and back to the US, eventually ending up in Washington D.C.. I rehomed the half dozen animals I had.

Luckily we've just about guaranteed that we won't leave the US again for a significant move, and I started lurking again. I've still got some of my husbandry equipment and keep dreaming about getting back in the hobby.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,599 Times in 2,996 Posts

Re: Perch Siz

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Nah unfortunately about two years ago I got married, uprooted, moved out of and back to the US, eventually ending up in Washington D.C.. I rehomed the half dozen animals I had.

Luckily we've just about guaranteed that we won't leave the US again for a significant move, and I started lurking again. I've still got some of my husbandry equipment and keep dreaming about getting back in the hobby.
    OK that makes sense.

I know you were a Twin Cities guy for a long while. Thought I'd eventually run into you but not in DC LOL. Glad you are lurking again.

What was the final size of your coastal. It was getting big in your last posts.

Good to see you here again!!
    Last edited by Gio; 06-02-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12