Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,137

1 members and 2,136 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Aag2019 (31)

» Stats

Members: 75,198
Threads: 248,610
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Binobenzo2466
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,506 Times in 2,694 Posts

Ambient temps in a tub

Hey guys and gals,

I just wanted to figure out how you all boost the ambient temps for your snakes that you keep in tubs. I'm getting a young Bredli Carpet Python this week and I was going to keep him in a small tub for his quarantine period. I can easily create a hot spot of 90+ but the ambient temps in my house is probably 75F during the day and as low as 70F on some of the cooler nights. I use heat bulbs on my PVC enclosures to boost the ambient temps to about 82 for my other carpets. I have a 40g tank I could put the Bredli in and there's a couple of CHE's and another IR heat bulb available to boost the ambient temps in the tank but I thought a smaller tub would make the new critter feel more secure. I've previously put hatchlings in adult enclosures with lots of hides and cover and have never had any issues. Any suggestions?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-29-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Ambient temps in a tub

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Hey guys and gals,

I just wanted to figure out how you all boost the ambient temps for your snakes that you keep in tubs. I'm getting a young Bredli Carpet Python this week and I was going to keep him in a small tub for his quarantine period. I can easily create a hot spot of 90+ but the ambient temps in my house is probably 75F during the day and as low as 70F on some of the cooler nights. I use heat bulbs on my PVC enclosures to boost the ambient temps to about 82 for my other carpets. I have a 40g tank I could put the Bredli in and there's a couple of CHE's and another IR heat bulb available to boost the ambient temps in the tank but I thought a smaller tub would make the new critter feel more secure. I've previously put hatchlings in adult enclosures with lots of hides and cover and have never had any issues. Any suggestions?
    Hey EL, first I would make sure to elevate the tub onto a table or somewhere away from the floor. The ambient temperature can be managed with a Che on a dimmer, and will be more efficient if you situate the tub into a corner. You will have to tweak the ambient with your digital thermometer to determine your best readings. My quarantine tub is in a corner of the room and the Che is about 12 inches above keeping a ambient of 78f on cool end and 82f on the warm end. My hot spot is controlled by a Zoo med rheostat at 90f- 91f.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 02-29-2016 at 04:55 PM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (02-29-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,506 Times in 2,694 Posts

Re: Ambient temps in a tub

Thanks AL. Do you put the CHE in an overhead lamp above the tub? I'm assuming it won't melt the plastic.