Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,263

1 members and 1,262 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Btripp08 (38)

» Stats

Members: 75,150
Threads: 248,591
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Dbook
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

The Amano Takashi inspired viv

For anyone not familiar, Amano Takashi was a revered master of aquascape. These are underwater compositions of rock, wood, and plants (usually, but not always minimalist) that are evocative of a larger landscape. Fish are almost more of an afterthought, with tiny schooling species added simply to provide movement to the display. In this rarified world, the tanks are rimless, and even the CO2 delivery system is beautiful, and fit for viewing. The reality of tangled wires, ugly blue t-stat lights, second-hand scratched glass tanks (with a chipped plastic edge) just doesn't exist in an Amano Takashi aquarium.

Decided the old 30"X12"X22 wasn't great for tropical plants. I had them all on boxes so they could reach the above light, and the whole thing looked ugly. Removed all the plants and boxes. Pulled out my collection of decorative scavenged "driftwood," and came up with a pretty interlocking arrangement. This ended up looking just like an aquascape (if you soft focus, and ignore the chip and glass scratches). Might be a good home for a small Kingsnake, that likes to climb... No, my snake will not be under water.

Back to reality: Kingsnake is digesting in his original home, so the usual life support of tangled wires, UTH, RHP, thermometers, t-stat, and mis-matched hides are still with him in the original 10 gallon. Later this week, I will switch everything over, and see if he enjoys the larger space.
    Last edited by distaff; 02-24-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks
    Bah, I was hoping for pics!!! 😅

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    There is some good eye candy if you look up the Amano Takashi instillation in Portugal. It is HUGE. Minimalist, but I like it.

Actually, I generally prefer the work of aquascapers (sorry for typos and mis-spellings - I can't find the eye glasses I can actually READ with..) who found inspiration in his work. (There is a you tube of the Amano Takashi museum with his work, but I find those tanks disappointing - they just look overgrown and boring - maybe just because he is no longer around to maintain them. IIRC, he died last August.)

Thanks
    I'm familiar with his work, though I didn't know he died. I love the inspired tanks so was excited to see a reptile version lol

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    You should definitely take pics when you put the snake in there though