Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,888

0 members and 1,888 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Aag2019 (31)

» Stats

Members: 75,199
Threads: 248,610
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lilly24601
    Thanks

Question Moving Snakes Cross-Country

Here's the Deal, I'm moving half-way across the country in a month and have a few questions about moving my snakes. The drive is about 21 hours straight, though we will probably be stopping for a night.
    First off: Can I house the three of them together for the move or should I cage them separately? (Their sizes vary, 31 in, 15 in, and 10 inches. Not sure if that matters)
    Secondly: What can I put them in and how should I maintain the temperature? I was thinking of drilling holes in some plastic tubs so they could breathe but I was clueless on how to give them some portable heat.
    Thirdly: Should I not feed them a certain time before the move? ( I know this may sound silly, but I know not to feed my cat for a few hours before we start driving)
    Lastly: Is there anything else I should take into consideration?

Thanks
    First, I would just keep them separate. No need to add unnecessary stress to the trip.

Second, tupperware containers are my go to for transporting/temporary housing while cleaning the tank. So an appropriately sized tupperware container is fine. You can buy a heat pad either online or in store, not sure where exactly but they make them because that's what they ship reptiles with to keep them warm on the journey. You can either drill or solder holes in the containers.

Third, Maybe feed them so they have enough time to poop before the move (if they're on a regular schedule that is). Having poop in your containers probably wouldn't be very pleasurable.

Last, make sure they're secure and can't get flung around. I know you're probably a perfect driver but other people are unpredictable and hard turns or braking is inevitable, and you definitely don't want them flying into your dashboard!
    0.1 het VPI axanthic (Arya)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mikesmelly For This Useful Post:

Vanouri (05-28-2015)

Thanks
    Tupperware is the way to go. I usually put them in containers that are pretty small compared to the animal's size to keep them from being jostled around, but you might want to go a little bigger since you're going to be stopping overnight.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DVirginiana For This Useful Post:

Vanouri (05-28-2015)

Thanks

Re: Moving Snakes Cross-Country

Thank you both for your replies! I'll definitely use the plastic totes with holes in them, though I can't seem to find a portable heat mat as of yet.

Thanks

Re: Moving Snakes Cross-Country

I wouldn't necessarily worry about heat, with it being a warm time of year... Even if you have to travel with the windows cracked, better u be a little warm than ur snakes getting cold...but again being the time of year it is I wouldn't stress to much about it.... The way I transport my animals is, put each snake in a pillow case tie a knot at the top, put 3 snakes (depending on size of snake) or more per 28 qt tub with lid... Less tubs or totes u have to lug around....

Thanks
    Treat it like you were shipping them. Put them in separate bags or pillow cases. Then in a box with packing materials. Make sure the temps stay in the 70s. Keep them out of the sun and no drafts. Don't feed them a week prior.
    Ron

Thanks
    i just moved from Arizona to Washington last summer with my 10 snakes; individual bags is definitely the way to go. i also put extra blankets in the bottom of the tubs to help smooth out any bumps and keep them in place. everyone made it without any issues. i also didn't worry to much about heating just kept them in the passenger compartment with me.

Thanks
    Read this:

http://thereptilereport.com/u-haulin-reptiles/

Best comprehensive info source.
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....