Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,882

0 members and 2,882 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,594
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW
    Thanks

Bringing ambient temp up in a 10 gallon tank?

Two weeks ago I brought my first BP home. He is set up in a 10 gallon tank and has an under tank heater on one end but that's it as far as heating goes. He has a hide on both ends of that tank (one on the warm end and one on the cooler end) with a water dish large enough for him to hang out in if he chooses to do so. He seems to be doing well and has eaten twice already (one hopper each week that hes been here). His stool seems regular and he doesn't appear lethargic or anything. I want to keep him this way though and not give him any reason to stress or go off of his food.

I told the breeder that we kept our house at 70* through the day and 65* at night. He said that my guy would be fine with just the under tank heater until he was ready to move into a bigger tank, which shouldn't be for a year or so. I've done a bunch of my own reading though and have seen countless times that a BP tank should have an ambient temperature of 80-85*. His cool end is currently at 69*. I was told that using any kind of lamps would be too much for a 10 gallon tank. Can I just put a second UTH on the other end and run it lower than the hot end does?

I love my little guy and am very excited to have him. I several books on them but sometimes you just want to hear from people who are familiar with them instead of relying solely on books and websites. Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks
    No, keep the warm side warm and the cool side cool. A cool side of 69 is not the end of the world, and is actually just fine. What you can do to help increase air temps for your little guy is to put a towel or something similar over the top to keep the warmer air inside the tank. Insulating the tank (a towel or blanket works) also will help keep the warm air from dissipating into the glass and then into the cooler air of your home.

You can add another small heat pad to the side of the cage, as well as underneath, to help bump up the warm side a bit without cooking the cage. A 25 or 40 watt heat light on the top (again, on the warm side) shouldn't be too much for the cage, and would increase temps just a few degrees, which is all you really need.

Adding hiding places over the heat pad, and piling moss around it as well, will also help create a warm hiding spot - and if you keep the moss moist, it'll act as a nice humidity boost, keeping your snake's skin beautiful.

Hope that helps!

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.