Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,388

1 members and 1,387 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Btripp08 (38)

» Stats

Members: 75,150
Threads: 248,591
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Dbook
    BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Critics say Obama caving to 'snake lobby' in allowing sales of harmless reptiles

http://washingtonexaminer.com/critic...rticle/2544215

Critics say Obama caving to 'snake lobby' in allowing sales of killer reptiles

An unusual group of liberal and conservative lawmakers, a former Olympian, and the Humane Society of the United States is demanding that the White House stop pandering to the “snake lobby” and ban the sale of exotic reptiles responsible for eating nearly every edible mammal in the Everglades.

“These snakes pose an unacceptable and preventable risk to the safety of the American people and threaten some of our nation's most treasured natural habitats,” said a bipartisan letter [below] to Obama’s budget office from 18 House members.

At issue is a 2012 administration decision to ban only four of nine dangerous snakes that the U.S. Geological Survey said are likely to become invasive. The U.S. and Wildlife Services proposed banning all nine under the Lacey Act, passed in 1900, which protects plants and wildlife.

Administration critics like the Humane Society said that a “snake lobby” made up of pet-store owners and reptile sellers complaining about lost sales forced the administration to allow the sale of the other five snake species, including boa constrictors, reticulated pythons and green anacondas.

A Boston University report noted that mouse and rat breeders would lose business if the big snakes were banned, while snake sellers worried about being unable to sell their stockpiles of reptiles.

Former congressman and Olympian Thomas McMillen wrote in the letter to the Office of Management and Budget — and provided to Secrets — that the five snakes are “a very small part of sales” in the industry, and that buyers would simply shift to other reptiles.

Lawmakers, especially those from Florida, claim that the big snakes are taking over the Everglades, eating 99 percent of all small- and medium-sized mammals. Florida spent $6 million fighting the snakes. They also warned the administration that the snakes have been responsible for killing children and babies.

Those pushing for a ban on all nine snake breeds believe they have the administration on the ropes, but have not achieved victory and may have to wait now that the “snake lobby” has sued over the initial snake ban.

“The administration needs to finish the job, partly to protect the immense national investment we as a nation have made in the Everglades and its protection and to stop this destructive trade in exotic pets,” said Wayne Pacelle, president of the Humane Society.
    Paul Bedard, the Washington Examiner's "Washington Secrets" columnist, can be contacted at pbedard@washingtonexaminer.com.

Thanks
    this is ridiculous. even if there would be a real concern, a ban would be the lazy way to adress it.

how about they make sure that snakes are kept safe from natural disasters. that would do the job.

but then, they fail at keeping anyone safe from an oil spill. pipelines break, trains full of crude crash and burn, deep water wells spill. and they fail at protecting even the most elemental resource: fresh water.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Critics say Obama caving to 'snake lobby' in allowing sales of harmless reptiles

This is awesome. If they're swinging at us this hard it means we are actually getting some traction on the issue. Keep up the good fight!

I also enjoyed the line about snakes being responsible for sbakes killing children and babies. That was good for a laugh this morning

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by CryHavoc17; 02-28-2014 at 10:44 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Critics say Obama caving to 'snake lobby' in allowing sales of harmless reptiles

I think its also worth noting that it seems like most of this was specifically worded as a counterpoint to USARKs legal challenge. That is also a very good sign, because it means that we are framing the debate and putting the pressure on the other side to prove us wrong. In any argument this is a critical step, and can be very difficult. So I look at this as very good news for us.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2