Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,444

0 members and 1,444 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,759
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    London, England (Not New England or any American place!!!)
    Thanks

Re: This is another reason why I love LLL Reptile

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    The skink was my newest addition, I have had him for over a month and saw no visuals of mites, in that entire span. The mites life cycle is about 30 days so I would think they would have shown up in that time frame. The mites could have easily come from us, they can hitch a ride on clothes, from someone elses collection (our friends have reptiles as well), so it is more than likely we introducted them.

Also when I get my enclosures I Wash/bleach them and scrub them down, any decorations that are wood get baked in the oven for 2 hours after being bleached and any water bowls etc get submerged and bleached as well.
    sounds valid enough to me
    -David

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts
    Sounds fair enough. I guess it was my fault for not reading the thread you linked in your original post. Without reading that, this post can be misconstrued. I assumed you just added the new animal.

With that said, I can tell you that the life cycle of a mite can be 30 days, but it can also be much longer than that. It all depends on the temperature that the mite is in. In much cooler temperatures, a mite can live 45 to 60 days. They can enter a semi-dormant state in cooler temps (say below 70 degrees). I just wanted to throw that out there, so that people don't think they are free and clear just because they haven't seen a mite in 30 days. Diligence is the only way to wim the Mite War.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Re: This is another reason why I love LLL Reptile

Quote Originally Posted by muddoc View Post
    Sounds fair enough. I guess it was my fault for not reading the thread you linked in your original post. Without reading that, this post can be misconstrued. I assumed you just added the new animal.

With that said, I can tell you that the life cycle of a mite can be 30 days, but it can also be much longer than that. It all depends on the temperature that the mite is in. In much cooler temperatures, a mite can live 45 to 60 days. They can enter a semi-dormant state in cooler temps (say below 70 degrees). I just wanted to throw that out there, so that people don't think they are free and clear just because they haven't seen a mite in 30 days. Diligence is the only way to wim the Mite War.
    I appreciate that... I see how it can me missconstrued. I should have also stated the setup, its an IJ bluey so his temps are in the high 80s with high humidity, which is a great enviroment for mites!

On an updated side note he seems to be mite free at this point, but I plan to treat at least one more time just in case I missed something.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12