Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,011

2 members and 2,009 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kam (43)
meganp (24)

» Stats

Members: 75,155
Threads: 248,596
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Upstream Morphs
    Thanks

Hairless rats as feeders?

I have just started a colony of hairless rats and want to use them as feeders because I heard hair and claws can't be digested by a ball python. Would this help them in digestion or not make a difference?

Thanks
    I haven't noticed much of a difference when feeding hairless. But I feed a mix of haired and hairless, so maybe feeding strictly hairless will have a small effect on digestion. But keep in mind the type of rat you breed is more for you than the snake. For the most part, snakes don't care what type of fur, ears or eyes the feeder has, so long as it's warm and it can fit in their mouth.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Re: Hairless rats as feeders?

My ball pythons never had an issue digesting claws or hair. I have hooded, dumbo, rex and hairless and my snakes will take any of them. I will tell you that the hairless don't seem to produce as well as the normal rats do.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PghBall For This Useful Post:

Flikky (11-08-2013)

Thanks
    Does being hairless make it easier to digest, yes I strongly believe it does. Do I think it normally makes a difference? No. Most healthy snakes have no problem being fed animals with hair, the times I feel like it can make enough of a difference to matter would be with animals who have been sick or regurging, or babies that come from weak lines that are known to have regurge problems I feel like it's best to keep them on hairless stuff for a longer time growing up....hypo brb's would be an example if they haven't been outcrossed enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    One problem with hairless rats (recessive), is that the females often have issues producing milk. And the pups don't have a great survival rate due to starvation.
    It's best to have furred lactating foster moms with hairless moms to help them out.

If they are double rex, then there is nothing to worry about. They lactate fine.

It is true that nails and fur are not digestible, however, they clean the inner tubes of the predator.
    In the end, it doesn't really matter if you feed a furred rat or a hairless.
    Last edited by satomi325; 11-08-2013 at 10:08 PM.