Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,300

2 members and 2,298 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,179
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ReptiFreak
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: THG Heat Tape Question..

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbird View Post
    Assuming I understand your question correctly, if you have the sections wired with seperate plugs, as in multiple slots in a rack, just plug them all into a powerstrip and plug that into your t-stat. I usually just paralell connect all the sections and run one power cord per rack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickys_Reptiles View Post
    You can either plug them all into a powerbar, or you can simply splice all the "+" wires together, and all the "-" wires together, then splice that to 1 plug. If you don't know how to properly splice wires together then for sure use a power bar!
    This is what I meant.. It will be for a 8 tier rack. Also I'm sorry o didn't reply sooner, I just saw that people, had replied.. Can I get a picture to make sure I plug them into the power strip right? I've never done splicing, my father can but he works to much to help me right now, and he's never dealt with THG heat tApw either. Thanks though everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    Here is how I do mine and it seems to go loads faster and be far easier to make sure you have a good connection

First I make up a buch of "pig tails" maybe 4-5" long install them in the heat tape as directed. PS I've tried using something other than the crimpers RBI sells for them and don't bother buy the crimpers and live long and prosper.

Then simply cut the female end off of a 10' two strand indoor/outdoor extention cord and seperate the two wires (leaving the plastic casing entact.

No go to your local electrical supply warehouse and get these. Make sure they are for the same gauge wire that your extension cord is.

then starting at the bottom install the tap connectors and pig tails as thus

When you're done you should have a fully wired rack with no risk of poor connections or solder failures.
    I do agree, this is sticky worthy. I'm not a expert but I feel after reading that it was more informative than most I've seen. I just don't trust myself to do that yet. Lol. Very very good post though!
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks
    When the strips have seperate plugs you don't have to worry about how they get plugged into the powerstrip. Most plugs are polarized now anyway so they only go one way. Only time it really matters is when your paralell connecting like freakie frog or I do. But I also solder all my connections so it's really a different method for me. And I wouldn't suggest soldering to anyone unless you are very good at it, as its a good way to screw up expensive heat tape.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkbird For This Useful Post:

Robyn@SYR (10-17-2013)

Thanks

Re: THG Heat Tape Question..

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbird View Post
    When the strips have seperate plugs you don't have to worry about how they get plugged into the powerstrip. Most plugs are polarized now anyway so they only go one way. Only time it really matters is when your paralell connecting like freakie frog or I do. But I also solder all my connections so it's really a different method for me. And I wouldn't suggest soldering to anyone unless you are very good at it, as its a good way to screw up expensive heat tape.
    Thank you very much! I haven't soldered since high school... I WAS good at it but I only have a few weeks of experience, same with welding... I will work on it later, but right now ill just let RB do it.
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12