Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,653

2 members and 1,651 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,606
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Can I keep hogs like this?

Not 100% positive on western hogs but the eastern hogs around here love basking on rocks, blacktop, etc. That is where I see most wild specimens at any rate so personally I would be tempted to use a CHE or UTH to give them a basking spot.
    That is going on an assumption that western hognose are about the same as eastern hognose except for the taste for toads that the easterns have.

Thanks

The controller I mentioned is a Johnson A419, I got it from Rich, at Reptile Basics.. he sells then all set up ready to plug in

Thanks

Can I keep hogs like this?

Quote Originally Posted by jinx667 View Post
    My hoggie LOVES his belly heat. I tried just having a tub at snake room temp (80ish) and he would not eat. Got some belly heat (88-90) and boom, became more active and started feeding like a champ.
    Same here man.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to interloc For This Useful Post:

Royal Hijinx (03-31-2013)

Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm heating with an oil heater, too. I don't have it hooked up to a thermostat- just relying on the one it was built with. I check temps multiple times a day, though, and they've begun to balance out now that I've tweaked it here and there. It's holding pretty steady at 83-84.

I just moved here from Kansas, and I didn't bring my thermostats or flexxwatt with me. Dont ask me. I dont know. Crazy, stressful, last minute move. Right now I'm just waiting for them to be moved. Should be here next week! Just trying to keep my guys happy with what I've got in the meantime.

My question was just out of curiosity. Hoggies are the next snake I want to get into, and I just wanted to know what you guys thought. It would be awesome if I could just have one warm room, instead of lots of little heaters. No worries though, If I did this long term, I would definitely get a thermostat for my oil heater.

I think for now, since I'm still fairly new to the hobby, I'll stick with the old standbys. I would love to see someone do a study on the health of various snakes- steady ambient temps vs. self regulating. Does such a study exist?
    0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python 'Marcelene'
    1.0.0 Hypo Brooks Kingsnake, 'Limonchello'
    0.0.1 Western Ratsnake 'Sticker'

?.?.? Dubia Colony.
    ?.?.? Madagascar Hissing Colony
    2.0.0 Ferrets 'Ferris' & 'Steven'
    3 gallon planted tank
    1.0.0 Avicularia Avicularia 'Peter'
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans 'Little Dude'
    0.0.1 Pterinochilus murinus 'Mr.Bitey'

0.1.0 Catahoula Pitbull Mix ' Imogen'

Thanks

I keep my hogs at the exact same temps as my balls. The biggest difference is that my hogs have an ambient humidity of 40% while the balls are around 60%.
    I do however use belly heat and provide a hot end of 90.F and a cool end of 80.F for thermoregulation.
    ~TJ~ Visit me on facebook! or Tweet me @MBReptiles

The Favorites:
    Ball Pythons Western Hognose
    1.0 Lithium Blaze
    1.0 Bee
    1.0 Spotnose
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Super Cinnamon
    0.2 Pastel
    0.3 Cinnamon
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Spotnose
    0.1 Het Hypo
    0.2 Het Pied
    1.1 Red Albino
    1.1 Orange Albino
    1.0 Albino Het Snow
    0.1 Het Snow
    1.0 Anaconda Het Albino
    0.1 Anaconda
    1.1 Het Pink Pastel
    0.5 Het Albino
    1.0 Het Snow
    0.1 Red Phase
    0.1 Pink Phase
    0.1 Green Phase

Thanks
    Aw, you live in one of my favorite towns. As you probably know already, HMB has a very temperate coastal climate - so it's pretty easy to keep snake/room temps constant, although I'm not really familiar with how oil heat works.

Personally I keep my hog in the same rack as ball pythons, just for the sake of saving (apartment) space. She's also my only hog, and I don't have anywhere to make a designated "snake room" either. I first put her in the corn's rack, since I thought she would prefer their lower temps and back heat... but I noticed her behavior seemed restless and "off," so I put her in the warmer & belly-heated BP rack instead. She seems much happier there!

Anyway, I doubt there's anything wrong with keeping a Hog in ambient heat, but they might prefer the belly heat - as would the Ball Pythons, I believe.
    Last edited by Lolo76; 04-05-2013 at 05:39 AM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    I want to say yes, but I could be wrong. I know that people keep corns like this.
    Yup. I always had to use heat (belly or back) when I lived in San Francisco, but now that I'm in the warmer south bay, I turn off the corns' heat altogether during the summer. Their rack is in the laundry room, which maintains a pretty steady 77-80 degrees during the warm months... and after two summers that way, everyone is still perfectly healthy.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
    The controller I mentioned is a Johnson A419, I got it from Rich, at Reptile Basics.. he sells then all set up ready to plug in
    This is the thermostat I use on my oil-filled radiator, also. It's fantastic! Never more that a degree of variation, and I have a large window in that room that plays hell with heating in the winter. OP, I strongly suggest that you invest in a Johnson thermostat, rather than trusting the cheap crap they build into those heaters. I have my heater set at ~88deg with the built-in (back-up), and the Johnson set to 79deg as the primary. Obviously, I use belly heat as well during the winter, but in the summer that room hits a steady 86deg without any supplemental heating at all.
    Last edited by Annarose15; 04-05-2013 at 08:14 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12