Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,359

3 members and 2,356 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,760
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

Beardie acting really weird

So my baby bearded has started acting weird. He no longer basks. He is always hiding in his little hid. His feeding response has really dropped and he doesn't eat his veggies anymore. His temps are and have been constistant since I got him. The weather here recently got a lot warmer. Could it maybe be the change of weather? Or does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    How big is he and has his color or anything else changed? Does his stool still look normal? Does he appear bloated at all? It's never a good thing when their feeding response drops...
    Ball Pythons: 1.1 Pastave (Regulus and Ceti), 0.1 Albino (Aria), 0.1 Lesser (Daenerys), 0.1 Mojave (Sangria), 1.0 Enchi Pastel (Declan), 0.1 Normal (Sydney), 1.0 Lesser pos. het Clown/Pied (Loki), 1.0 het Clown pos. het lavender albino (Liam), 0.2 het Clown (Cara and Milly)

Corn Snakes: 1.0 Blizzard (Flurry)

Other: 0.1 Bearded Dragon (Faranth), 0.1 Russian Tortoise (Henry), 1.1 Dogs (Floppy and Lucy), 2.1 Cats (Jack, Brando, and Godiva), 1 Very Understanding Husband

Thanks

Re: Beardie acting really weird

He is still small but has grown a lot since I have got him, colors are bright as ever and to me his stool is still normal, I'm completely baffled as to why he is acting like this.

Thanks

It sounds like he could be trying to brumate. Here is a really good article on it, it's 11 pages so make sure to read it all. http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/
    Jen

1.1 normals
    1.0 bumble bee
    1.0 albino
    0.1 het albino
    1.0 pastel
    0.1 spider
    0.1 pied
    1.0 het pied
    0.1 pewter
    0.1 pinstripe
    0.1 super mojave BEL
    1.0 black pastel
    1.0 pastel sugar
    0.1 yellow belly
    1.0 special
    0.1 cinnamon
    0.1 super citrus bearded dragon
    1.0 panther chameleon
    chaco golden knee T
    0.1 mack snow leo

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jbabybulldog For This Useful Post:

Gorillafist (03-20-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbabybulldog View Post
    It sounds like he could be trying to brumate. Here is a really good article on it, it's 11 pages so make sure to read it all. http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/
    If it were fall, the daylight was getting shorter, and the temps dropping, I'd agree but this time of year it's not normal for them to brumate unless you are forcing the conditions. Mine have brumated plenty but never start this late. Generally they are wide awake by this point in the season. Also, many young dragons (under a year) will not brumate unless the temps are purposely dropped low and they are kept away from light for extended periods more like deep winter would provide. Their metabolisms will keep going assuming they have heat, light, and food readily available.

I would recommend, since you say things haven't changed other than what you mentioned, to try getting him out and seeing how he acts/looks. Are his eyes sunken in? Does he respond to your touch? When you warm him up, does he get more active/alert? If this isn't happening, I would keep a very close eye on him if not head to the vet. It could be anything from impaction to just an infection that's not making him very peppy. Either way, better safe than sorry.
    Ball Pythons: 1.1 Pastave (Regulus and Ceti), 0.1 Albino (Aria), 0.1 Lesser (Daenerys), 0.1 Mojave (Sangria), 1.0 Enchi Pastel (Declan), 0.1 Normal (Sydney), 1.0 Lesser pos. het Clown/Pied (Loki), 1.0 het Clown pos. het lavender albino (Liam), 0.2 het Clown (Cara and Milly)

Other: 0.1 Bearded Dragon (Faranth), 0.1 Russian Tortoise (Henry), 1.1 Dogs (Floppy and Lucy), 2.1 Cats (Jack, Brando, and Godiva), 1 Very Understanding Husband

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts
    Babies usually don't brumate unless they are real cold. My guess would be lack of good UV from proper lighting

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle View Post
    Babies usually don't brumate unless they are real cold. My guess would be lack of good UV from proper lighting
    That's actually a good possibility especially when they are young like that. Do you have a full spectrum UV light on him and if so, when was the last time the bulb was changed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoluna View Post
    That's actually a good possibility especially when they are young like that. Do you have a full spectrum UV light on him and if so, when was the last time the bulb was changed?
    Yeah I do and I changed it last month. He all the sudden seemed to pep up and is now being really responsive. Not sure what changed but I put more veggies and some phoenix worms and he went all garbage disposal. I'm still going to be taking a stool sample to the vet tomorrow just to make sure everything is good.