Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,832

2 members and 1,830 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,158
Threads: 248,598
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Brayden0924
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Snake abuse on Television: Killer Karaoke

Quote Originally Posted by Kinra View Post
    If you are not friends with Urban Jungles-Radio I would friend them. Someone named Robert Walter has been commenting on their posts about this. Apparently he was there and helped but refused to supply any of his animals for this. Urban Jungles Radio has said they will be talking with him during their show on Friday night.
    I will have to look up Urban Jungles-Radio, I would like to hear what Robert Walter says.

According to Robert there is more to this story than is immediately apparent. He has stated that this was apparently filmed 2 years ago (not sure I believe that). He has also stated that the water was not freezing cold, but actually luke warm. I didn't notice any ice, but he said that a few ice cubes were used, but mostly fake stage ice was used. Contestants were instructed to act as if the water was cold, which I honestly think they did a poor job of. I didn't get the impression that the water was cold. He also stated that some fake snakes were mixed in. I do believe that Robert was there because someone recognized him in one of the clips, but I can't verify that anything he has said is true.
    I also would not be surprised if it was fake ice, the water was warm, contestants faked it etc. etc.... That still does not make it ok to dump live animals into deep water with a freaked out person flailing around. The contestant in the video could easily have injured and or killed an animal especially when she was pulled back out of the water and they were hanging around her.

All of that being said, I want to make it known that I in no way support this. I think it was a ridiculous stunt, especially since I've seen a clip where there are also two alligators swimming around in the mix, but I do think it is possible that a lot of what people are so upset about is simply the dramatization typical of "reality" TV.
    There will always be some dramatization, but it is evident that live animals were used, and it could have caused death or injury to the animals, that in its self is enough to get people upset, no matter the amount of dramatization.

0.1 Albino
    0.2 Classic
    0.1 Het. Red Axanthic
    0.1 Mojave h. Ghost
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Spider h. Ghost
    1.0 Black Pastel
    1.0 Blue Eye Leucistic h. Ghost
    1.0 Lesser
    1.0 Pastel h. Ghost

0.1 Morelia bredli
    0.0.1 Varanus acanthurus (Silly)
    0.1 Brachypelma auratum
    0.1 Scottisch Fold (Tipsy)
    0.1 Abyssinian (Prim)

http://www.facebook.com/AAExoten

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    Steve-O does not run the show or choose the stunts. The comments here directing the frustration over this toward him are mind boggling.

Also, I remember the Fear Factor thread. The guy who supplied the snakes actually made an account here to explain that they practiced the stunt multiple times to make sure the contestant understood how to keep the animals safe and they rotates snakes in from a van full of racks with proper conditions to make sure that no single snake was subjected to stress for an extended time.

I do NOT condone the video or the practice, but I agree with Kinra that I think a lot of the 'animal abuse' claims can be chalked up to reality TV gimmicks. These people have a LOT to lose if someone cared to prove them to be abusing the animals, so I do believe they have themselves covered on stunts like this. Perhaps we should blame animal cruelty laws? I am unaware of them or if they change based on species or anything, but I could see them making stricter laws for dogs than reptiles.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrLang For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (11-20-2012),Valentine Pirate (11-20-2012)

Thanks
    Wow that is just horrific. I hope it's been reported to the humane association. The show could actually get in a lot of trouble if any of the snakes drowned.
    0.1 Spider - Bellatrix
    1.0 Pastel Lesser - Lord Voldemort
    1.0 Horse - Africa

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

This was brought up on a UK forum a couple of days ago and everyone simply reported it as animal abuse.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

AlexCaldecott (11-23-2012),Kaorte (11-20-2012)

Thanks
    Has anyone considered that all of those snakes have had shed issues and needed a good soak, and that all they were trying to do was help the poor snakes out while having a little fun at the same time? Maybe some of the snakes were nervous so they figured a singing human would help lul their frantically beating hearts during the stuck shed removal process...

I don't know why you guys have to be such haters
    ~TJ~ Visit me on facebook! or Tweet me @MBReptiles

The Favorites:
    Ball Pythons Western Hognose
    1.0 Lithium Blaze
    1.0 Bee
    1.0 Spotnose
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Super Cinnamon
    0.2 Pastel
    0.3 Cinnamon
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Spotnose
    0.1 Het Hypo
    0.2 Het Pied
    1.1 Red Albino
    1.1 Orange Albino
    1.0 Albino Het Snow
    0.1 Het Snow
    1.0 Anaconda Het Albino
    0.1 Anaconda
    1.1 Het Pink Pastel
    0.5 Het Albino
    1.0 Het Snow
    0.1 Red Phase
    0.1 Pink Phase
    0.1 Green Phase

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TJ_Burton For This Useful Post:

eatgoodfood (11-20-2012)

Thanks
    Those poor snakes!!! That makes me so sick the way ppl treat reptiles
    SHELBY9189

1.0 Normal (Oscar)
    1.0 Rottweiler (Buddy)
    0.1 Rottweiler (Roxie)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Rebecca, thanks for the info. If that is the case then it isn't so bad. But no one can deny that throwing a hundred or so terrestrial snakes into deep water won't cause the animals a great amount of stress. It is so sad that people are defending the actions of this stupid show!
    ~Steffe

Registered User BleedingOrange36's Avatar
    Thanks
    That is horrible!!! I seen some really pretty snakes in there also....
    I could only imagine how bad it would of been for snakes and keepers if one of those snakes struck out of shear stress and panic, especially the Burmese... An attack on tv would add the needed fuel to the fire that people seem to seek nowadays.

Thanks
    People on youtube fighting with me. I'll give up soon. >
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    Steve-O does not run the show or choose the stunts. The comments here directing the frustration over this toward him are mind boggling.

Also, I remember the Fear Factor thread. The guy who supplied the snakes actually made an account here to explain that they practiced the stunt multiple times to make sure the contestant understood how to keep the animals safe and they rotates snakes in from a van full of racks with proper conditions to make sure that no single snake was subjected to stress for an extended time.

I do NOT condone the video or the practice, but I agree with Kinra that I think a lot of the 'animal abuse' claims can be chalked up to reality TV gimmicks. These people have a LOT to lose if someone cared to prove them to be abusing the animals, so I do believe they have themselves covered on stunts like this. Perhaps we should blame animal cruelty laws? I am unaware of them or if they change based on species or anything, but I could see them making stricter laws for dogs than reptiles.
    I think I would be fine with it if there wasn't any water. :/ That is really the part that bugs me.
    ~Steffe

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast