Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,132

1 members and 3,131 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    all speculation for sure but have not seen a female desert on eggs??? have you?? or anybody have pictures??
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

Thanks

Re: Question about breeding desert females!

Quote Originally Posted by greghall View Post
    all speculation for sure but have not seen a female desert on eggs??? have you?? or anybody have pictures??
    Kahl line desert sitting on six good eggs... Last I knew that was the last anyone heard anything about that clutch, so who knows what happened with it.

http://forums.kingsnake.com/viewarch...19964&key=2011

Thanks
    When I went to NARBC in October, one of the vendors sold me a very beautiful looking tiger female at the NERD table (I thought it was Raphy for a sec there but I actually think it was another guy, RJ I think is his name). I was unsure about buying her, because I had heard stories about desert females not being able to produce. He tracked down Chad from Pro Exotics, introduced me to Chad, and told me to ask my question about desert viability to Chad.

Chad told me that I shouldn't worry about the viability; deserts just needed a slightly different environment from regular BPs. He told me to put the female on the bottom-most tub of my rack so she'd be a little colder than the others. He said he knew of a female desert who had produced in (I want to say) Europe, so there was nothing to be concerned over.

I would be very sad to think that both would lie, so I feel confident about my purchase. They don't seem like the types who would do that.

There's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Slashmaster; 11-04-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    To say one needs cooler temps than another is absurd when their genetically the same whether normal or albino or desert.
    The theory is deserts can't thermo-regulate their eggs properly and cook them. And you do realize you contradict your own statement in itself right?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

twistedtails (11-04-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    The theory is deserts can't thermo-regulate their eggs properly and cook them. And you do realize you contradict your own statement in itself right?
    Wait!....Albinos and normals aren't genetically the same????
    Mike

Thanks
    I'm still waiting for proof on either end.. They are gorgeous... If it turns out they can't breed right--I'll need to pick me up a desert lady as a pet, they are gorgeous. If it turns out they breed just fine--I'll be very happy for those who have gotten in on the desert gene early and will happily join them one day!

Til then... We'll see!

Thanks

I am very intrested in this as I plan on getting a desert male to make some awesome combos. I hope an answer is found soon.

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jam Reptiles View Post
    I am very intrested in this as I plan on getting a desert male to make some awesome combos. I hope an answer is found soon.
    You really have a lot of reading to do before you start spending any cash. Even with a male, you will need an outlet for the females you produce, so keep that in mind. Many folks do not want to feed a non-breedable female.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jinx667 View Post
    You really have a lot of reading to do before you start spending any cash. Even with a male, you will need an outlet for the females you produce, so keep that in mind. Many folks do not want to feed a non-breedable female.
    I feel bad for all the people who bought into the desert project without first receiving full disclosure but I think the morph still has a plenty of potential for breeders and keepers alike. The only people that really got burned are those who bought females with the intent to breed without being made aware of their situation.

That said, breeders will continue paying good money for the male combos and people who want a crazy looking pet snake should be able to afford a nice female combo without breaking the bank. Looking at it positively, the females are basically born spayed so you don't have to worry about people honoring "pet only" agreements.

The fact that females can't reproduce and are priced lower does in no way excuse breeders from full disclosure responsibilities when selling them in my opinion. I think if you're selling an animal with known problems you should make every potential buyer fully aware. Sure folks should do their own research but searches will come up nil until those who know start coming forward and spreading the word.
    Last edited by John1982; 10-29-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Looking at it positively, the females are basically born spayed so you don't have to worry about people honoring "pet only" agreements.
    Not really. Female deserts can and do become gravid. Usually with slugs, but there have been numerous recorded cases of the female becoming egg bound and/or dying from the pregnancy. So yes, you do have to worry. If the females could not become gravid, and were not in danger of people "giving it a shot" I wouldn't be against having a boy to get some beautiful combo's with. But with the females lives at risk, I just can't do it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseyReps For This Useful Post:

coldbloodaddict (10-29-2012)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast