Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,432

0 members and 2,432 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I'm appalled by some of the things people do that seem to us like plain common sense would tell you NOT to do it. There's a guy on my Craigslist area that has a at LEAST 8ft red tail (not sure what type) that he says will come with it's 55gal tank, heat lamp and a heat rock. I've got a 40gal breeder and if I tried to put Satin in there she'd take up the whole damn thing, and she's not nearly as big as this guy's boa. It makes me wonder how people can look at them in those types of situation and go "Looks fine to me."

I'm glad this guy found a great home with you! He looks beautiful!
    Last edited by xFenrir; 08-22-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to xFenrir For This Useful Post:

William C (08-23-2012)

Thanks

Re: Got the new Salmon today, Apollo.

Quote Originally Posted by William C View Post
    Thanks for the tip Daybreaker, but believe me... I've been researching IBD for years. I won't even keep boas and pythons on the same floor. Won't use the same feeding tongs. Different rolls of paper towels. I'm very anal about that, having seen one of my good friends pythons go through it. It was the saddest thing I've ever seen in my all of my snake loving life.

- - - Updated - - -

I know this is no secret, I was just trying to be humorous. Hot Shot No Pest Strips...

I buy a few at a time, crack one open and cut it into about one inch squares, put those in squares in the cages. Then I put the remainder on the floor where the snake's room is, and hang another one near the door. I've seen a few mites, that were on Rocky (the first Salmon boa I got from Prehistoric Pets).. and those suckers were fat. I smushed and it was like an explosion went off. These weren't noticed until after he shed, so I went straight to wally world and picked up 4 of these. Have't seen another mite since. Kill em all! (any old metallica fans?) Good luck. amd feel free hit me up any time. I've well experienced. Most forums think since you don't have thousands of posts that you don't know jack. I can assure you, that is not the case here.
    you are aware mites lay eggs, correct? eggs aren't typically attracted to adhesive pest strips, which are not anything I'd feel comfortable putting in an enclosure in the first place.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wwmjkd For This Useful Post:

crepers86 (08-22-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wwmjkd View Post
    you are aware mites lay eggs, correct? eggs aren't typically attracted to adhesive pest strips, which are not anything I'd feel comfortable putting in an enclosure in the first place.
    These are not adhesive strips. I got the idea from a herp vet, who has quite a personal collection himself. It's hard to explain what these are. Feel like rubber. A very small piece in the enclosure will kill any mites and eggs. Has worked for me for 10+ years and for all I've recommended it too. There are a million ways to fight mites. This, I have found, is the most convenient and least expensive.

0.1 Beautiful Girlfriend
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    2.0.1 BCI, two Hypo males, one unsexed normal
    1.0 Pug
    1.1 Pit Bull Mix
    0.1 Terrier Mutt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xFenrir View Post
    I'm appalled by some of the things people do that seem to us like plain common sense would tell you NOT to do it. There's a guy on my Craigslist area that has a at LEAST 8ft red tail (not sure what type) that he says will come with it's 55gal tank, heat lamp and a heat rock. I've got a 40gal breeder and if I tried to put Satin in there she'd take up the whole damn thing, and she's not nearly as big as this guy's boa. It makes me wonder how people can look at them in those types of situation and go "Looks fine to me."

I'm glad this guy found a great home with you! He looks beautiful!
    Thank you for the kind words. I definitely agree with you, it's insane what people do when a simple google search will tell you exactly what the animal requires to remain healthy and happy. A heat rock? No words for that. I see a lot of people that will try building enclosures for boas and care more about the way it looks than the functionality. Then you have places like Petco, that sell BCI's to anyone with the cash in hand and don't even sell enclosures big enough to house an adult. Anyone else find that a little bit screwed up? It's just like any hobby though, you are going to have ignorant people that get into it for all the wrong reasons. I guess we all have to start somewhere though. With the growth of the internet in the last couple decades, I can imagine that proper care for reptiles has increased dramatically. So, I'm quite thankful for that.

0.1 Beautiful Girlfriend
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    2.0.1 BCI, two Hypo males, one unsexed normal
    1.0 Pug
    1.1 Pit Bull Mix
    0.1 Terrier Mutt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12