Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,155

2 members and 1,153 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,590
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: My personal opinion as to something they should add to BP.net

Quote Originally Posted by Missy King View Post
    wow, like a gun? lol someone takes the internet WAY too seriously. Not that i'm agreeing with the OP but dang...there are way too many people out there to expect that we're all going to get along. Kind of makes it even harder when people take typing online so seriously.
    "It's no longer in your control" "collaeral damage" "Think of it like firing a gun"

Wow. Seriously? They are words, that can be construed any way. IN any way, in any light. It's more like art...you bring your own history and interpretation to what you are reading. Generally it's not as serious as people take it, and really, who on earth other than your friends and family are worth your time to consider internet posts THAT important? Surely i'm not the only one who thinks that. For instance is even saying this going to freak out a bunch of people? If so, you guys seriously need a life.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

heathers*bps (07-30-2012),Mft62485 (07-30-2012),wolfy-hound (07-30-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Missy King View Post
    wow, like a gun? lol someone takes the internet WAY too seriously. Not that i'm agreeing with the OP but dang...there are way too many people out there to expect that we're all going to get along. Kind of makes it even harder when people take typing online so seriously.
    "It's no longer in your control" "collaeral damage" "Think of it like firing a gun"

Wow. Seriously? They are words, that can be construed any way. IN any way, in any light. It's more like art...you bring your own history and interpretation to what you are reading. Generally it's not as serious as people take it, and really, who on earth other than your friends and family are worth your time to consider internet posts THAT important? Surely i'm not the only one who thinks that. For instance is even saying this going to freak out a bunch of people? If so, you guys seriously need a life.
    Actually, I disagree. Mostly. If you are unable to put in words the thoughts you'd like to share, then perhaps you should not be using the internet. For me, if my words are "construed any way" other than as I meant them to be construed, then I have failed. While an interpretation is largely up to the reader, giving that reader something to go on is the job of the writer. And, if that reader misconstrues what the writer has written, then it is, in my experience, often because the reader either doesn't have the experience to understand what was written, doesn't care enough to actually put effort into what the writer was trying to convey, has an ax to grind either with the writer personally, the topic in general, or is simply not intelligent enough to understand what was written.

YOU ASSume much. I seriously doubt that anyone reading this thread will "freak out" at what you have said. Unless, as I suspect, like you they are 17 and know all there is to know now and forever because ''it's always been that way."

Do you understand ballistics? Once that projectile leaves the muzzle, the shooter no longer has control of it. It therefore, behooves the shooter/writer to be as clear and concise as possible to prevent those whose limitations, such as yourself, from getting it wrong, misconstruing, or just flat out not understanding what was written.

Just because YOU don't think it matters does not mean that it matters not. I take words fairly serious as a rule. I know I am not alone in this. You seem to think that a writer bears little, if any, responsibility for they represent by what they write. Perhaps, for those too uneducated or willfully ignorant, this has some validity. However, for those who think, who put time into examining ideas which may be new, or old but seen from a new perspective, for those who CARE about what the words mean not only now, but in the future, it matters quite a bit. If you want to rant and rave and say stupid things or just make a sphincter of yourself, you are free to do so. You are also free to learn several lessons from that behavior, as the OP did. You may want to give that some thought and see if it might not have a personal application for you as well.

You are what you eat, you are remembered by what you say, you are known by your history, which, as long as the internet is alive, will never go away. Think twice, post once. It saves you from the struggle to get the odour of your feet out of your mouth.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (07-30-2012),heathers*bps (07-30-2012),wolfy-hound (07-30-2012)

Thanks
    If you're in the situation where you feel like a post should be deleted. PM a staff member, I'm sure if they find it necessary they'll do it for you.
    -Hanna :)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Navy View Post
    If you're in the situation where you feel like a post should be deleted. PM a staff member, I'm sure if they find it necessary they'll do it for you.
    Have you even READ this thread? Perhaps you should read the TOS, or this thread since you've piped up here, before you stick your other foot in your mouth.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Have you even READ this thread? Perhaps you should read the TOS, or this thread since you've piped up here, before you stick your other foot in your mouth.
    I've read most of the thread, mostly where people say where saying you show think before you post, and I agree, but when I made a thread inquiring whether I was being ripped off or not, and I found out he wasn't, I wish I could have deleted the post, but because I couldn't, I just updated it.
    Also, what ever happened to being kind and helpful, because you're being really rude.
    There's a difference between constructive criticism and passive aggressiveness.

Also, I've read the ToS when I first joined, and I just went over it again.
    Please point out the part where it says
    "You may not request for posts to be removed"
    Last edited by Navy; 07-30-2012 at 01:32 AM.

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Lol pretty sure he was talking About the thread op wants deleted

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks
    I've never seen a forum on any topic that allows users to delete their own posts.

Reason being is that if you think about it like a conversation in person, how would you erase something you said out loud to another person? You can't.

You can always follow up what you said with reason and logic (just like you can follow up on your own posts) but you still have to be held accountable for it.
    Last edited by devildog_dk; 07-30-2012 at 03:54 AM. Reason: my apostrophe key has a mind of its own

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devildog_dk View Post
    I've never seen a forum on any topic that allows users to delete their own posts.

Reason being is that if you think about it like a conversation in person, how would you erase something you said out loud to another person? You can't.

You can always follow up what you said with reason and logic (just like you can follow up on your own posts) but you still have to be held accountable for it.
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but keep in mind, once you say something out loud, only the people who were around to hear it will know you said it. It's not permanently there.
    I have never been on a forum that allows deletion of posts past like a minute, nor do I like the idea of it being there.
    Too much of a gateway for abuse.

Thanks
    Deleting posts? No way in hog heaven.
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

12. The Following User Says Thank You to heathers*bps For This Useful Post:

Navy (07-30-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    If you don't think that saying stupid things on the net should matter or be important, just wait until it comes back to bite you in the hiney when you want to do business with people, or you need help, or even just advice...

What you say shapes how people see you. If you walk around bad mouthing people, complaining about everything, cursing at the person making your coffee in Starbucks... then you need a job and go back to the coffeeshop to apply, guess who is not very likely to get hired? Yeah. It won't matter if you can make up a nice new application or if you can act nice and polite when you apply, the image you already gave as an immature jerk with your earlier actions will hold over and you will have a negative image.

Posting on the internet just means you have a MUCH larger audience when you act like a fool. Post like a jerk on one reptile forum, laugh about how everyone gets in a swivet over it and wander off. Then a year later you'll see a snake you just can't live without, or you'll have hatchlings to sell, or you'll have an issue you want some advice on.... and suddenly EVERYONE in the entire community remembers your idiot behavior before and you get bupkiss in the way of buyers, sellers, advice, etc. If you decide to set up to sell quality snakes, people will remember you acted unprofessionally before and be less likely to deal with you.

I can't count the number of idiots that have posted a lot of completely stupid stuff, then when warned it would come back to haunt them replied that they were never going to be selling or buying or need advice... only to watch them pop back up less than a year later wanting something. Then they cry that people should "let it go" or "that was in the past" or "don't you have a life" and such, because no one wants anything to do with them.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Navy (07-30-2012),Poseidon (08-01-2012)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast