Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 945

2 members and 943 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles
    BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Question Leopard Gecko Won't Eat

So I have had my Leo for almost a week, and she hasn't eaten more than 1 small cricket for me the entire time. I have a dish with dusted mealworms in her cage 24/7 and offer a few small crickets once or twice a day. she has a hide over her UTH (set to 90 with my Herpstat 4) and a humid hide as well. Her cages humidity stays between 40%-50% most of the time.

Here is a picture of her:

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Mine aren't big cricket fans. They will eat the worms like candy though. I believe they can eat roaches too. Is she in a heavy traffic area? Mine only come out to eat when the lights go out.
    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (04-16-2012)

Thanks

Re: Leopard Gecko Won't Eat

Geckos that have been moved sometime go off feeding. It sounds like you have the temp. and housing set up right. You might wanna try helping your gecko to eat, by 'force-feeding'. Good Luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrDooLittle View Post
    Mine aren't big cricket fans. They will eat the worms like candy though. I believe they can eat roaches too. Is she in a heavy traffic area? Mine only come out to eat when the lights go out.
    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    No, she isn't in a high traffic area... there really isn't a high traffic area in my entire apartment lol.

My little Leo doesn't seem to realize that she can eat the mealworms that I provide for her. I know that the reptile shop that I got her from was feeding her small crickets (I buy my crickets from them so they should be the same)
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    I have 4 Leos, 2 eat anything and everything I put in front of them. My other two have been picky the past few months and eat once in a while. I refresh their bowl with super worms daily and also tong feed crickets. What I have noticed is when I tong feed, they have stronger feeding responses, possibly because the worm/roach squirms a lot and attracts their attention more.

I would definitely try tong feeding if you haven't already. If that doesn't work it could be possible that you just have a timid little Leo that hasn't fully settled in yet.

Something I've also noticed is that dusted food items are sometimes turned down. One of my Leos sees the prey item and does her little stalking thing but just licks it and turns it down. When I put a non dusted item in front of her she takes it right away. Of course I have a bottle cap with calcium/vitamin powder at all times just to make sure she can get what she needs when she doesn't take a dusted item.

Hopefully that helps. Keep us posted! Your Leo looks a little skinny cuz its so young, and definitely needs to start eating soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    1.2 Normal Ball Pythons
    1.1 Pastel Ball Pythons
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python
    1.0 Cinnamon Spinner Ball Python
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Cinnabee
    0.1 het Russo
    0.1 Champagne het Russo
    0.1 Sugar

2.2 Leopard Geckos
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

7. The Following User Says Thank You to notmyfault For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hot side up the temp to 95.f that might help a bit. A week isn't too long and left alone she should eat soon. Stay away from the mealies with her because she's young and the chitin can cause impactions. I'm not a mealie fan Anyways. It's crap food. Mealies are impossible to gutload and they end up just being fat for them. It's like feeding your kid just butter for food. Keep up with the crickets. You might want to try Breaking the hopper legs on the cricket. Sometimes they move a bit fast for the little guys.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Homegrownscales For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by notmyfault View Post
    I have 4 Leos, 2 eat anything and everything I put in front of them. My other two have been picky the past few months and eat once in a while. I refresh their bowl with super worms daily and also tong feed crickets. What I have noticed is when I tong feed, they have stronger feeding responses, possibly because the worm/roach squirms a lot and attracts their attention more.

I would definitely try tong feeding if you haven't already. If that doesn't work it could be possible that you just have a timid little Leo that hasn't fully settled in yet.

Something I've also noticed is that dusted food items are sometimes turned down. One of my Leos sees the prey item and does her little stalking thing but just licks it and turns it down. When I put a non dusted item in front of her she takes it right away. Of course I have a bottle cap with calcium/vitamin powder at all times just to make sure she can get what she needs when she doesn't take a dusted item.

Hopefully that helps. Keep us posted! Your Leo looks a little skinny cuz its so young, and definitely needs to start eating soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for the tong feeding trick, worked like a charm!
    ~Aaron

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homegrownscales View Post
    Hot side up the temp to 95.f that might help a bit. A week isn't too long and left alone she should eat soon. Stay away from the mealies with her because she's young and the chitin can cause impactions. I'm not a mealie fan Anyways. It's crap food. Mealies are impossible to gutload and they end up just being fat for them. It's like feeding your kid just butter for food. Keep up with the crickets. You might want to try Breaking the hopper legs on the cricket. Sometimes they move a bit fast for the little guys.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com
    Yeah, I have the crickets for the base of her diet, I just picked up some mealies so she could have 24/7 access to food if she wanted it.
    ~Aaron