Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,958

1 members and 1,957 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    have you tried leaving the thawed rodent in the cage overnight? I have a cape gopher and a lined pine snake that will not eat off tongs.

but like everyone above has said, pics would help.
    Last edited by Lucas339; 02-14-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Thanks
    Yep I have, waiting to get Camera fixed.

Thanks
    Our Current Family:
    1.0 Green Tree Python (ARU)=Hercules: 1.0 Borneo Blood Python=Sir Lancelot
    0.1 Ball Python=Sheba: 0.0.1 Gopher Rescue=Dirty Harry: 1.0.0 Corn=Apollo
    0.0.1 Leopard Gecko= Napoleon 0.1.0: Bearded Dragon=Draco : 0.1.0Fire Belly Armadillo Lizard:
    0.1.0 Rose Hair Tarantula: 1.0 Cockatiel=Luna: 0.1 Vosmari Eclectus=Evee: 0.2 Cats= Kiku, Duchess: 1.2 Dog=Lilly, Brandy, Charly: 2.0 Flemish Giant=Athena and Snuggles: 0.4 Rats: 0.0.8 Tiger Barbs Fish:
    MY Wish List:
    1.1 Jaya Carpet Python: 0.1 Black Pastel Python:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Great Basin Gopher (Deserticola) Request for Feeding Help

Quote Originally Posted by MSG-KB View Post
    Keep at 75° - 85° F Day, Night no lower then 75° F. Has a tree to climb, in a 30 Gal, Very private, big water bowl, very big Hide. Snake is 5ft or more and about 3/4" round, when we got it, looks like some thing had died in the cage, not sure what but we where told it was a rat so we where thinking it was feed something to big and left in to long, not sure if the lady was doing live or F/T. Clean snake got into new cage to fit the size of snake, it was always in hide or buried, but in the last 1 1/2 weeks has become very active almost never in hide always out and about. Has tried lg. mouse F/T and a Little Mouse F/T. Now thinging maybe a Rat Pup F/T. Since they do go into Hibernation and it ends Feb -Mar maybe its time, and he or she is going back into feeding. I just want to do right for this snake.

Since we have had it it has never ate or showed and intrest in eating, Pick up in End Dec or Early Jan. I have tried to feed about once a week or even every other week.

If anyone has one of these snakes and can give help please do We want the sweet snake to make it, he or she is a very sweet snake.

Thank You

Terrance
    Terrance:

As Wes has mentioned, it is not unusual for these animals to go off feed during this time of year. These changes are more linked to light cycles than temps. In other words, even if you don't drop the enclosure temps, as the days shorten, the snakes can and will go off feed.

As Lucas mentioned, pits can be picky. I have a male deserticola that will only feed if his prey items are placed in a crockery bowl outside of his hide. He won't eat off tongs. His sister will only eat live.

As everyone has suggested, a picture would definately identify his species and perhaps even confirm the sex. In the meantime, if his weight looks fine, don't worry about him not eating. Give him another couple weeks and offer a prey item. If he still refuses to take it, a suggestion would be to try live and see if that stimulates him.

Thanks

Any more help

Thank You I an trying for picture Camera broken but trying, weight is still looking good.

So put in dish not just inside laied inside the tank? He/she is not spending must e=if anytime in the hide anymore, used to be in it all the time but now is out and about. I will will take a F/T Mouse put it in a box of mouse Shavings and coat it well and put in a bowl. I have left a mousr in there for 1 1/2 days and cover off cage but no go.

1. Should I leave Light on it?

2. Should I cover the whole Cage?

3. How long should I leave it?

4. I did try a Live one once about 30 days ago.

Any Help I am just trying to to the best I can for the snake to give it the best shot to make it and become a part of the family and be happy.

Thank You all

Terrance
    Our Current Family:
    0.0.1 Leopard Gecko= Napoleon 0.1.0: Bearded Dragon=Draco : 0.1.0Fire Belly Armadillo Lizard:
    0.1.0 Rose Hair Tarantula: 1.0 Cockatiel=Luna: 0.1 Vosmari Eclectus=Evee: 0.2 Cats= Kiku, Duchess: 1.2 Dog=Lilly, Brandy, Charly: 2.0 Flemish Giant=Athena and Snuggles: 0.4 Rats: 0.0.8 Tiger Barbs Fish:
    MY Wish List:

Thanks

Update

Still working on him or she. Tried the bowl, cover tank and at night, still no go, then tried chichen broth, Stiill not eatting. But did show someintrest but no go. Weight still looking on. Since they do go into Hibernation and it ends Feb -Mar maybe it will start to want food.

Thank You all for your help and iteas

Terrance
    Our Current Family:
    MY Wish List:

Thanks

Re: Great Basin Gopher (Deserticola) Request for Feeding Help

Well, My male went a while without feeding in October till about January. During that span I was able to get him to eat some smaller items so maybe you should try something a lot smaller. After that i just started offering slightly larger items and now he is eating small rats that are probably a little bigger than he should eat but I just feed him less often. My female usually won't eat until I walk out of the room or she will grab the rat and drag it back to her hide and hiss at me until I walk away. As long as she or he is active with some fast tongue flicking and is not losing a ton of weight I wouldn't fuss too much.

Thanks
    He or she ate a weaning mouse, yes its a start.
    Our Current Family:
    MY Wish List:

Thanks

He / She is eating NOW Re: Great Basin Gopher (Deserticola) Request for Feeding Help

Eating well now F/T very happy. Thank You all for help

Quote Originally Posted by MSG-KB View Post
    My Gopher has been off feed for 60 days when I rescued it but did not know much about it or its past. It looks like they do go into Hibernation from Oct to Mar depends on how far north you are even not in the wild. So I am thinking that maybe he or she will be coming out of it now, before she was always in the hide or buried but not doing that now she is not hiding is out 95% of the time more looking, not in the hide very offen.

I just do not know what to try this time for food, I have tried lg mouse, little mouse.

Snake is about 3/4 in around and 5+ ft.

Does anyone have thoughts?

Terrance
    Our Current Family:
    MY Wish List:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12