Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,844

3 members and 2,841 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Jcd5v (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    For JSSYL: I don't allow my dogs in the reptile room, besides they won't go down there anyway. But I have 3 children, ages 12, 11 and 4, and we've had burms for 5+ years. My children know that when the cage is first opened to stay back until dad has the snake out. After that, they all are wanting to hold them.

I have more pics of my youngest one holding the big babies, but I can't seem to find them right now. As you can see, they are calm enough to be around child, of course under extremely close supervision, but they do have a strong feeding response. While feeding is the only time Chad has been bit, well other than dealing with hatchlings

To the OP, if you are confident in handling and being around larger snakes, I say go for it. But do you have someone you know that has large burms already? It would definitely be a good idea to get some hands on experience before jumping off the deep end.
    Also, breeding rabbits really is a PITA. We spend more money on caring for the rabbits then we do if we were to buy frozen. I noticed your in MD, and I'm not 100% sure what all shows he does, but Chad has bought from a guy at the Hamburg show that sells feeder rabbits at $1.00 a pound.
    Whatever you decide to do, I give you major points for doing your research and asking questions. Burms are not like owning balls. They eat a lot and when they get larger CAN make things harder. You definitely don't want to handle them by yourself once they reach 8-10', though I would go with the smaller end of that spectrum.

Good luck to both of you in your decision, and post pics when you get your new big babies!
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

2. The Following User Says Thank You to heathers*bps For This Useful Post:

John1982 (12-15-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    To the OP, if you are confident in handling and being around larger snakes, I say go for it. But do you have someone you know that has large burms already? It would definitely be a good idea to get some hands on experience before jumping off the deep end.
    x10

When anybody asks me if I think they could manage a large snake the first thing I always ask if they've ever actually handled one. I suggest finding someone who has at least a 12 footer and getting some interaction time with the animal, see if it isn't something you would like to work with on a day to day basis.

Thanks

Re: Considering a Burmese Python of my own. Thoughts and advice?

Heathers thank you for the response and the pics, that gives me a different perspective. My wife went from being afraid of snakes before meeting me, to tolerating my hobby, and now actively engages with our breeding snakes. Her hesitation is that the burm would escape the enclosure, and the snake room and prowl the house hunting our labradors and children. I know this sounds ridiculous but I am trying to calm her worries, that this is NOT a realistic scenario if we take all the safety precautions. What other safety precautions should I practice with a hatchling to ensure safe encounters when the snake is adult size. I have handled a 10-12 footer repeatedly and feel extremely comfortable with it.

Thanks
    I reaaaally want a Burm as well, but I'm forced to wait because there's NO WAY we're gonna have room for it's enclosures as it grows in an apartment. And I think the neighbors would finally put their foot down if they saw a 10+ foot, 100+ pound snake cruising around. (There are lots of families AND we live right next to an elementary school, I'm sure everyone would jump on the "YOUR SNAKE'S GONNA EAT MY BABY!!" bandwagon. ) I've handled a few (more sub-adults than adults) but what REALLY got me hooked was a guy at a show had his 10ft. female that he uses for educational shows along with him. I asked if I could hold it and he put it on my shoulders. She just draped herself there like a big, heavy scarf, made no move to run or squeeze, just kinda moved her head around and flicked her tongue like "why's everyone lookin' at me?"

I think the big question is "is it the right time/place to get a Burm, and do I feel ready for it?" If the answer is yes, then I'd go for it!
    Last edited by xFenrir; 12-15-2011 at 02:12 PM.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123