Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,583

0 members and 2,583 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead
    Thanks

I'm thinking bout cat litter for my rats...

Do you guys do this? I was thinking about 1 layer of cat litter with 1 layer of softwood bedding.
    0.1 Leopard Pied
    0.1 VPI Axanthic Het Pied
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pied

Thanks
    Cat litter is toxic when ingested. Rats will get covered in it. It will get in their eyes, nose, lower region and ears. It's a really bad idea.

Thanks
    Clay litter is out of the question, compressed paper liter pellets isn't as bad however it's dusty so it really depends on the rat. I use carefresh for my pet rats because I'm allergic to aspen wood shavings.
    Currently have
    2.3 pastel's
    0.1 spider
    0.1 normal
    1.1 100% het albino's
    1.0 Albino ( he will live at work but i get to take care of him)
    1.0 Cinnamon
    1.0 Fire

Thanks

Re: I'm thinking bout cat litter for my rats...

From my research, yesterday's news cat litter is something to go with. Plus they sell it at petco. I'm allergic to rats I figured little things might help.

Cat litter ideas came from here
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tennyso...andbedding.htm
    0.1 Leopard Pied
    0.1 VPI Axanthic Het Pied
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pied

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

baking soda works fine. I've used it for years.

Thanks
    Guardian Pine Pelleted Bedding is $4 at the feed store near me. The bag lasts a dang long time! Awesome quality pellets and they go a long way.

Thanks
    It's funny anymoe that I keep reading more and more about how to keep the smell down it's pretty easy. Just clean the tubs on a regular basis. It's not that hard and I'm not tring to be mean or anything but your spending more money when bredding rodents are about saving you some. Pettets and clay kitty litter are good don't get me wrong but not needed and if you make the mistake on forgeting to check for litters then you risk the chance of the stuff getting wet and sticking to the pinkies noses and losing them. For us not checkng tubs isn't a option cause we hae to check water bottles or nipples from water systems beeding and for babies. Breeding rodents for so many years I've seen every trick in the book. And some of them just make me laugh. In our facility we have to change bedding out at least every 5-7 days It's the best choice on keeping the smell down. Just stick with the pine and you will stop spending money on other exspences. Like I said I'm not tring to be mean or sound like a jerk but we breed rodents to save money why spend more then needed ?

Thanks

Running 5 racks of rats, 1 24 tub mouse rack and 1 rack of asf's, I have to agree with everything puny said, except for the pine part. i wd never use pine for rodents intended for snake food. I only use aspen. I change my racks bedding every 10 days, that way I know I do it 3 times per month. Cat litter to me, just seems like a bad idea on many different levels. Sticking to the rats, sticking horribly to pinks. And i cant imagine the repercussions of snakes ingesting cat litter wd be good. i sure as hell aint risking my pieds or clowns or deserts to it. Do what the masses have done for the last 30 yrs. Aspen and clean it regularly.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark910 View Post
    Running 5 racks of rats, 1 24 tub mouse rack and 1 rack of asf's, I have to agree with everything puny said, except for the pine part. i wd never use pine for rodents intended for snake food. I only use aspen. I change my racks bedding every 10 days, that way I know I do it 3 times per month. Cat litter to me, just seems like a bad idea on many different levels. Sticking to the rats, sticking horribly to pinks. And i cant imagine the repercussions of snakes ingesting cat litter wd be good. i sure as hell aint risking my pieds or clowns or deserts to it. Do what the masses have done for the last 30 yrs. Aspen and clean it regularly.
    The pine is kiln dried and thus no harm to rodents or snakes.

Angela

Thanks
    Yeah Aspen to me is useless if anything makes thing stink more. dry Kiln pine for 12+ years with nobody that buy rodents from every having issues. Heck all the big time breeders do it as well.