Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,593

0 members and 2,593 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,179
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ReptiFreak
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Question i need some mice advice

So I have no problem breeding rats but I seem to always fail breeding mice and maybe its because I just try to throw something together and half ass it. So I'm planning before I start this time.
    First - I have extra mortar tubs from home depot are those too big for mice or could I build a rack using those? If so would I need to add a step or something in there for small and weaner mice? Also what could I run in it? 1.8?
    Second- would small litter tubs work or do I need to use something bigger? If small works what could I run in it? 1.4?
    Third- the native earth 4018 works for food correct?
    Lastly do you keep the groups together and then just pull weaner as they come? And if you have a male or female die off can you replace with another or no?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Also for those of you that use racks do you use half inch or quarter inch hardware cloth? I've heard some people have no problem with half inch and some that do.

Thanks
    I use half inch, but my mice are larger than yours. I recommend quarter inch for feeder mice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhasputin For This Useful Post:

azmodane (10-30-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Able to chime in on anything else? I know you're mainly more of a show/quality mice but for feeder sake any input?

Thanks
    How large are your mortar tubs? Are they the black 'cement mixing' tubs that are like 18'' by 24'' or something like that?
    If so, those are fine for feeder tubs, just build an appropriate rack.

For a 1.4, I would recommend at least about 10'' x 20'' of floor space. About as large as a ten gallon tank. That should be enough space to keep everyone happy. So if your litter pans are about that size, they should be fine.

Some people leave groups together, and others remove the male, let the females have their litters and return the male when the litter is weaned. I would suggest removing the male, as you'll have much healthier litters, and mothers.
    The male should be able to move back and forth from the females, with no issues.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Try contacting Koloo921 on here. She has some mice that were descended from show stock, so they should be a pretty healthy, stable stock to start from.

Her mice aren't show quality, but being from good show breeders originally, her stock should be a great place to start.

She's also in Ohio.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Ooooo that's awesome I'll have to look into what she can spare. Yes the mortar tubs are the cement mixing tubs which are 27x24x6.5 tall... I was just wondering if the 6.5 tall would be an issue. The small litter pans are approx 14x10x4 tall. So ideally you would want to throw a male in with 4 females for about a week, pull him and then let the females pop and then after weaning and waiting a week or two throw the male back in for a week? Could I house multiple males together or would it be better to just rotate 1 male through like 5 or 6 racks or would that just be over kill on a male always breeding?

Thanks
    How many reptiles are you feeding?

The ideal would be to leave the male in with the females for a few weeks, until at least one looks viseably pregnant (they all should be by then) and then remove him while the females have their litters, an return when they are weaned, or 1 week after weaning.

Males must be housed alone, they will fight with other males to the death.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Gotcha, now can you do the same thing you would do with rats where you only move out the vis preg female and then replace her with another breeder and have a breeding rack of single females? I'm looking to feed about 30 adult hogs and then some youngings also some other corns and kings....

Thanks
    Yep you can do the same thing with rats.