Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,108

2 members and 2,106 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,195
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Hot-Rod1088
    Thanks

question about a large bp

So my fiances parents have a friend that has a snake, I'm not 100% certain that its a bp. I have been told its approx. 15 years old (believeable), around 6' in length(stretching it) and 15lbs or 6803 grams (unfreaking believeable). So I was wondering if there may be a snake that fits that discription and could easily be confused with a bp. Or does she possibly have a massive bp? I know pics will be requested and I have to assume there is some exaguration going one here but I will post pics once I get to meet this amazingly sized snake.
    2.3 Ball Python (Thanatos(lesser cinnamon vanilla), Prince(banana vanilla dinker). Lucifer(normal), Snailtail(lesser cinnamon vanilla pastel), Nagini(normal))
    1.1 Red Tail Boa (Satin,Tiberius)
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)

Thanks
    She could possibly have a veeeeeeeeery large bp - someone on here posted a bumble bee that measured in at about 6ft and 10lbs - but you don't often come across snakes like those. I'm thinking it might be a large blood python.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: question about a large bp

If you could get a picture of it, we could identify it in a heartbeat.

However, it DOES sound like it could be a ball python. Most likely female. I've seen a few in person, and pictures of several others that have reached similar size.

I would be VERY surprised if its a blood python. At 15 years old, a blood python would probably weigh a lot more than 15 pounds...unless it was seriously underfed. Not to mention the fact that bloods are nowhere near as common as balls in the ordinary pet trade. Hard to imagine one becoming a casual pet 15 years ago.
    -- Judy

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given the age it is possible it could very well be a female Sub Saharan locality which are larger than other localities they are not common in the pet trade but they are out there.
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    A bp getting that big was more common that long ago. Back then people didn't breed until a snake was around 4 years old. Now a days with people breeding bps younger and younger that is what has ended up stunting their growth a little. If you breed a snake before it gets it's full size it will end up staying smaller becuase their system is now focus more breeding then growing. I might not actaully be a bp but becuase of the age it is a possibility. You will still even get bps that grow to be that big today is is just way more uncommon then it used to be.
    Always be Batman

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: question about a large bp

Could also be a common boa constrictor. Seems silly to us to mix those two up, but people who aren't into studying snakes do it quite often.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    still no pics but i do know she has never breed her so it could just be a large bp, and I think she gets a jumbo rat at least once a week. I do know shes not a blood python unless there are bloods that have bp coloring, my father inlaw has seen bloods and is some what familiar with snakes (he wasnt really a fan, I was actually pleasantly surprized when he actually held mine) any who it will be awhile before I post pics of it because they live an hour away and I just dont have the time or cash to just drive up there. I will visit because even though this website it extreemly helpful its nice to have a local information sorce.
    2.3 Ball Python (Thanatos(lesser cinnamon vanilla), Prince(banana vanilla dinker). Lucifer(normal), Snailtail(lesser cinnamon vanilla pastel), Nagini(normal))
    1.1 Red Tail Boa (Satin,Tiberius)
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)