Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,923

0 members and 2,923 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles
    Thanks

Thinking of a new T

I was thinking about getting a new T. I have had some Avics and a Rosehair so I am not new to T's but I don't have too much experience but I' not new at keeping them. What would be a good next step? Thanks

Thanks
    Well are there any that you like right now? Do you prefer arboreals or terrestrials?

Personally, I'd suggest something like a Grammostola pulchripes, because they've got a nice look, are big, generally pretty easy going and have fantastic appetites, not to mention ease of care. You could go for a GBB (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) - a little bit on the flighty side, but make amazing webs and look fantastic with their bright colours.

Really, you can go with any New World (and even Old World) if you're able to respect the individual animal and its temperament. It's all up to you!
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks
    I really like the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and I love the webs . I would like to have more T's that I can bring to educational shows me and my friends do would one of these be a good addition? I am getting one ether way but I would be nice to have another I can bring. I was also wondering about a Theraphosa blondi. If I got one I would probably bring it to shows because who wouldn't love to see a giant T? If I did bring ether to show the only people who would hold them would be me and my friend though my friend is still a little nervous( he just got over his fear last month because of my rosehair) so I would be the main person holing them. Do you think it is a good idea? If not I will stick to my rosehair and avics for shows.

Thanks
    The C. cyaneopubescens would make a fantastic show tarantula, but just for looking mostly. They tend to be a little too skittish for handling - though that's not to say that there aren't any docile ones, but for the most part they're commonly rather jumpy.

Theraphosa blondi make awesome display tarantulas, and if you ask me they'd still be fantastic for an educational show because they offer some good points that you can bring up. "You can explain how although some of them can be docile enough to handle, the fact that they're so large makes them hard to control, not to mention that they have some of the most irritating urticating bristles known to the hobby. Just food for thought I love the Theraphosa, I've got a little baby T. stirmi, and boy are they skittish as babies. The only thing you need to watch out for with them though is as they get close to max size they sometimes encounter molting problems.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Re: Thinking of a new T

Quote Originally Posted by zyxxyz View Post
    I really like the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and I love the webs . I would like to have more T's that I can bring to educational shows me and my friends do would one of these be a good addition? I am getting one ether way but I would be nice to have another I can bring. I was also wondering about a Theraphosa blondi. If I got one I would probably bring it to shows because who wouldn't love to see a giant T? If I did bring ether to show the only people who would hold them would be me and my friend though my friend is still a little nervous( he just got over his fear last month because of my rosehair) so I would be the main person holing them. Do you think it is a good idea? If not I will stick to my rosehair and avics for shows.
    GBB is a great choice to show off but a very poor choice to try and hold!!!

The blondi or stirmi is a poor choice IMO UNLESS you are up for the challenge. They have very bad hairs, are known to have molting issue the bigger they get and they are very touchy with their care requirements. They bigger they are the bigger fangs they have. If they bite you they can do major mechanical damage. Since they are so big a very short fall can be deadly for them. Of course if you are up for the challenge though then I say
    Jeff Bernard