Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,756

3 members and 1,753 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kam (43)
meganp (24)

» Stats

Members: 75,155
Threads: 248,596
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Upstream Morphs
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Mom's a biter, what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    Def not something to rush and feed off. When I Give all 50+ breeding rats pizza crust, Id swear their snakes lunging out to get it. Ive been bit from them getting over excited for a treat, but wont feed off.

My breeders are High producers so id never feed off for anything.
    Ya, no kiddin Rich! What was that one Mamas litter u had.. Something like 22 babies? I wouldn't mind if she took a finger of mine here and there. You have some baby makin machines over there! Lol

1.0 Pastel Champagne
    1.0 Clown Het pied 1.0 Pastel Ghost Het Pied
    1.0 Piebald 1.0 Pastel
    1.0 Mojave 1.0 Enchi Het Pied
    0.1 Pastel Het Pied 0.1 Ghost Het Pied
    0.1 Poss. Pastel Het Pied 0.3 Wild Type
    0.1 Spider Het Pied 0.1 Gold Blush Mojo
    0.1 Enchi Het Pied 0.1 Bee Het Pied
    0.1 Het Pied. 0.1 Sugar
    0.1 Orange Ghost. 0.1 Woma

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cdavidson9 View Post
    Ya, no kiddin Rich! What was that one Mamas litter u had.. Something like 22 babies? I wouldn't mind if she took a finger of mine here and there. You have some baby makin machines over there! Lol

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    The problem is she doesn't just go for my fingers when I'm giving out treats, it's any time I put my hands in the tub she thinks I have treats, like today when I was taking a baby out.

She is on her way out, I will not tolerate being afraid to put my hands in the tub because of her over zealous nature, but if I do decide to hold back a female or two from her litter I'll give them a chance to be hand raised and figure out what's food and what isn't, but if they turn into mom I'll take that entire line out of my project.

Thank you everyone for all the advice.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have a strict no bite policy..
    You bite me, you get bit back.

Thanks

This is an interesting topic.

Ive got one that is a biter and the other is not. The biter has drawn blood on me a few times. Im not rushing to kill her. When I clean out the cage I grab her by the tail. Other than that when I add food I use a shield on the biter so I can finish doing what I need.

But really I cant see this a being a gentic trait passed on. Alot of it is imo lack of human socialization. If you start early handling the babies to show that your not a threat. I dont see a reason why the should bite. None of my babies from her have tryed to bite me so far... the worse thing they think is my hand is a jungle gym.

I have fed the daddy off, because of inbreeding with his sis's. So I kept the other male to outbreed. Neither did the daddy or this new male I have was/is a biter.

Could it be gentic? I highly doubt it but no way to prove it. But what it boils down to is lack of human socialization as a baby. Thats my 2 cent.
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.1 Southern Flying Squirrel
    0.1 Pitbull
    0.2 Cats
    Feeder rats.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BrianD For This Useful Post:

Adam Chandler (09-30-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'll argue with you on that... I very well think it could be genetic. Just like any wild animal, over time, with generations of captive breeding, they can become more and more tame. Rats teach other rats how to chew, they are very smart, and do pick up habits from cage mates... I don't tolerate a biting rat, a chewing rat, or a cannibal.
    Sure, if it's a momma, just protecting babies, I "may" give her another chance, but even with the amount of breeding females I have, I want to be able to open any drawer, and just randomly pick out what I need without watching for a nasty bite... Even when I bring in new blood, 90% of the time, the rats are pretty social right off the bat. So, why chance breeding in a "possible" biter??
    If you're breeding, you can replace very easily....
    And, even given that you say you grab her by the tail, that shows that she's at least somewhat tame, because that's the exact last thing you should do to a wild rat, they climb back up the tail and whack you fast!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jasbus For This Useful Post:

JohnNJ (10-01-2011)

Thanks

I bought a pego rat from the store, because my other two has done nothing for the last two months. I new female i got on monday night and held her for a few hours and she seemed to be a sweet heart, on tuesday she gave birth to 10 pups, two days later when i was feeding her she nipped but did not brake skin, thin went on for a week, now she's okay with hold the babies moving the nest to clean, so maybe due to their bad eyesite she miss took your finger for food, or she just didn't want you in her cage with the pups. so just wait on making her food she if she bite after the pup are out of her cage. hope this helps you out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12