Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,971

1 members and 2,970 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kam (43)
meganp (24)

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,596
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Ahh, I see. Yeah, the reason I was asking was because we have about 10,000 mealworms ranging from near microscopic to huge, so I was seeing if the tiny ones would be suitable. Do you think a mix of pinhead crickets and tiny freshly molted mealworms would work? I could prekill them still of course, or simply go with the crickets. I mainly only ask for emergency situations. Our old petstore we relied on recently moved two hours away, leaving us stranded with a bp who only ate live with no where to get food. Thankfully, that week after three years he FINALLY decided he would take f/t. We have found a new reptile store that sells insects, and we do still have petsmarts around us if we get desperate, but I just wanted to think of a back up in case something happens to the stores around us. Most likely we won't need it, but you know, never hurts to ask!

I don't mind putting in extra work, we don't have many animals, and would only want these two tarantulas for now, so a little extra work for something that eats one or two bugs a week is not that big of a deal.

Thanks so much! I'm very excited. I'm still not sure when we will get them, I want them soon, but my boyfriend is stalling! But with all this knowledge I have now, by the time the day comes I'll be sure I am ready to take care of them!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Re: Beginner Tarantula questions!

Quote Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
    I do have a few more questions for you (or anyone else I guess who would see this?)

How fast do these guys grow? I guess specifically these two (green bottle blue Has a descent growth rate and brazilian black slow growth rate)

Also, what size crickets would a 3/4" or 1" need I feed small size crickets from pet smart and just crush the head of the cricket and tong feed or drop it in there. NEVER had a problem by doing it this way. from ? I ask because that's about the size tarantula I keep seeing, and I was wondering if they need pinhead crickets or 'smalls' or whatever size Pinheads would work if you can find them too. They are just a pain to catch to put in there and get out if they are uneaten. also not much meat to them.. I'm trying to figure out how long I would need to buy super small crickets for a tarantula Don't really know the answer to that. I don't breed my own crickets, and the stores around me sell by the dozen, so I'd end up with a bunch of tiny crickets that none of my other animals could really eat(and would get too big too fast probably if I just kept them) Good reason to buy more T's .. But I guess as the crickets grow I could feed them to the geckos Yup !

I DO have a working mealworm colony of various sizes, but can mealworms be fed to tarantulas They can be fed to tarantulas. I generally use super worms. Meal worms from what I understand have a higher chitlin ratio also? I do not really like using supers or mealies as a staple because I can gut load crickets and dubias waaaaaaay better then a super or mealie (although I am trying to change that). Plus mealies and supers from what I understand have and are pretty fatty and this reason is my MAIN concern for not wanting to use them as a staple. Someone once wrote it as like humans eating Mcdonalds every day. Don't know how true that analogy is but it kind of makes you think. And I am always paranoid about grain mites too. I had big colonies of mealies and supers when I had a lot of leo's and never got grain mites (don't even keep a farction of that size now) but the possability is just always lingering in the back of my head. With that said though I do supplement with the supers but try not to use that as a staple unless a T will not eat anything else (so far my parahybana is not wanting anything but supers and is being quite difficult about it).Would they be good for them? My answer would be yes and no. I don't see any problems with my parahybana from just eating super worms but I have not had her even a year yet so taht is not enough data for me to say for sure from experience. I would like to give her a more varied diet if possible but just because I would like to does not mean it would happen and just because I think it would be better does not mean that is correct either if you know what I mean.

Just still figuring out the feeding part. Once the spider is bigger it wouldn't be an issue, just when it is young!
    Just keep in mind these are just my personal thoughts on things. They are no way ment to be taken as the last word of things or this is the way it is. I tend to over analyze things and I happen to like my tarantulas best out of all animals now for some reason so I could be extra over thinking things. What you feed your feeders is directly related to what kind of nutrition the animals that are eating the feeders get so I always keep that in mind. Just use what I say as tools to make your own descisions and I am sure you will make out just fine
    Jeff Bernard

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Boanerges For This Useful Post:

wwmjkd (09-29-2011)

Thanks

gut-loading ancillary question

it has been a while since I had my bearded dragon, so I haven't had the need to gut-load any feeders for a few years. do either of you have any advice on how best to get nutrition into crickets prior to feeding? I always used a mix of high calcium greens, raw oatmeal, and some of the commercial orange cubes they sell at pet stores.

Thanks

Re: gut-loading ancillary question

Quote Originally Posted by wwmjkd View Post
    it has been a while since I had my bearded dragon, so I haven't had the need to gut-load any feeders for a few years. do either of you have any advice on how best to get nutrition into crickets prior to feeding? I always used a mix of high calcium greens, raw oatmeal, and some of the commercial orange cubes they sell at pet stores.
    That should be perfect, but you don't need the calcium for T's as they have no bones to require it.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandra V For This Useful Post:

wwmjkd (09-29-2011)

Thanks
    thanks Alexa

Thanks
    Regular small crickets would not be too hard for me to get I don't think!

Now to convince the boyfriend and find a T breeder willing to find me a lady T(or suspected female at least!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wwmjkd View Post
    I use gold fish flakes that are a crude protein of like 36% i think with no artifical additives or anything, 9 lives Daily essentials cat food with a protien of like 31% or something like that, oat meal and for fliuds I use apples and oranges. Unlike beardies and leo's too much calcium is said to be bad for T's. Protein is usually what you are looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
    Regular small crickets would not be too hard for me to get I don't think!

Now to convince the boyfriend and find a T breeder willing to find me a lady T(or suspected female at least!)
    If you have a real small T you can cut up pies of cricket or meal worms. You can also rip the legs off of larger crickets and give it to the T's as drum sticks. But if you use a slighty larger cricket then the recommended size just make sure you crush the head and rip the legs off or crush the leg joings so it can not kick or injure the T and you will be fine
    Jeff Bernard

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Boanerges For This Useful Post:

wwmjkd (09-29-2011)

Thanks

And a quick note I did start out by using these water crystals from Lowes as a source of fluids for my feeders:

That was way more cost effective and easy to use then apples and oranges as a source of fluids. But the apples and oranges are more nutrious so that is what I use now.
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra V View Post
    At around 1" they would in fact need pinhead crickets, but you could put in a little bit of effort and go one of two ways: either go with larger crickets and pre-kill them, or do the same with pre-killed meal worms.
    I bought my versi at the reptile show. While I was there, I picked up a bunch of pinheads, then threw them in the freezer! I do the f/t thing for her. One more molt and she'll probable be big enough for smalls, which are much easier for me to find!

But I do have some mealworms the gecko has refused...
    Theresa in Indy
    1.0 Western Hognose, 3.0 Thamnophis, 0.0.1 A. versicolor, 1.0 leopard gecko

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tress29 For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (10-02-2011)

Thanks
    I didn't even think you could do the f/t thing with insects! I'm so used to my geckos and relying on sight! How rare is it for a T to accept already dead food?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12