Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,502

0 members and 1,502 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,607
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead

Thread: Nippers

Thanks

Nippers

I need some help with ASF handling and overall how to stop them from turning into human devouring pests. Now we have owned them before and we had a fantastic set up, toys and all that jazz. We handled them everyday and while our male wasn't a biter our females were monsters. Eventually we had to wear gloves. I have found a decent breeder not far from us who claims his are tame (well see). Besides trying for less aggressive lines how can we live peacefully with Natal rats? Are there certain ways to hold your hands, pick them and to move around them? We moved slow and gently yet it wasn't enough. :C

We really want to try this again but if it ends out like last time I'm in the dog house.
    Last edited by bokuza; 09-14-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks
    Ways to hold them....so they dont jump out of your hands

I have 3 sets and each come from different breeders and trust me when they do pass on their personalities.
    One colony I have is super scared and timid which is great when handling and another on the opposite end, so check out the parents carefully for what you are looking for.

Thanks
    Oh for sure, we plan to touch them and hold. The breeder said hes perfectly fine with us messing with them and is confident they won't bite. Well just see. I doubt it.

Thanks
    Even if they do, it's not the end of the world.

Thanks
    If you look at this care sheet I wrote up here: http://www.softfurs.com/care-sheet/
    You will find some information about how to safely handle ASFs while preventing them from jumping.

Your best bet is to raise them from babies, and mess with them every day possible. I just stick my hands in the piles of little ones, and shuffle them around so they're used to handling. You don't have to individually handle each one, but just touching them all like that gets them used to your hands.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Most of mine don't bite. Momma's protecting young will, no matter how tame they are. they're just ASF's...
    You wear gloves? That's funny. I just reach in and pick them up by the handfuls..it's the hamsters that are evil

Thanks

Re: Nippers

Quote Originally Posted by jasbus View Post
    Most of mine don't bite. Momma's protecting young will, no matter how tame they are. they're just ASF's...
    You wear gloves? That's funny. I just reach in and pick them up by the handfuls..it's the hamsters that are evil
    I have never had a rodent bite. I always wear leather gloves with adults. I use big tweezers with the ASF's.

Thanks

Re: Nippers

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    If you look at this care sheet I wrote up here: http://www.softfurs.com/care-sheet/
    You will find some information about how to safely handle ASFs while preventing them from jumping.

Your best bet is to raise them from babies, and mess with them every day possible. I just stick my hands in the piles of little ones, and shuffle them around so they're used to handling. You don't have to individually handle each one, but just touching them all like that gets them used to your hands.
    Thanks for all your help guys. I guess Ill try to get somewhat tame adults and mess with the babies a ton. It's funny but with rats that come from not so nice parents I roll them in my hands. It works wonders. ASFs are not as easy going though. Doubt that will work. Should I just remove the Mothers when I try to handle babies?