Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,175

4 members and 3,171 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,170
Threads: 248,600
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, viersa
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Why are you certain it's food stains? If you do think it's a food issue, change her food to something that doesn't contain beets or beet dye. That's the most common staining issue from food.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Tear stains would only effect the area around her eyes correct?

The staining is limited to her mouth (just next to and under her nose) and hind end, and her front paws recently, leading me to believe it's food stains, not tear stains. But, then again, I don't know very much about tear staining, so correct me if I'm wrong, please.

I just checked her food for any of the beet or beet dye. The only thing I could find on her soft was red dye 40, and her hard was two yellow dyes, one of which was 6, the other was 3 or 5, and blue dye 2 I believe.

So I'll be searching for a food that dosen't contain any of those dyes. I'm not going to ask her vet about it, since I have seen science diet in his waiting room, and I haven't heard very great things about it...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    It's probably saliva stains, not food stains, although the dyes in the food add to the staining. Many dogs stain from saliva that don't get tear staining because the tear ducts drain properly. The stains on the faces come from the tears not draining through the duct into the sinus cavities properly.

I'd also switch her to hard food, as maltese are known to have teeth issues and the hard food would help prevent it, and wet foods almost always have dyes in them to make them more appealing to the humans buying them.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12