Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,189

2 members and 2,187 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,198
Threads: 248,610
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Binobenzo2466

Thread: Weight question

Thanks

Weight question

I have searched the board and have not found ans answer to my question. I have 9-10 week old normal female. When we brought her home she weighed in at 79 grams. We fed her a hopper a few days later, she ate quickly and was active with in a few minutes. Two days later we checked her again and she was 91 grams. Checked her again a few days later and she was at 93. She defecated the morning of her second feeding and was back down to 91. She ate again that night. Checked again two days later and saw 101 grams. Checked again today and she was back down to 97.

First of all am I checking too often? Second should I be worried or should I just watch her for a while. Her next feeding will be this Friday.

Thank in advance.

Thanks
    You are checking way to often. If she is eating when you present food (at reasonable intervals) and has fresh water you should only check once a month or so.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    X2.....

Thanks
    We have had her for two weeks now. The first feed was two days after we brought her home. The breeder was feeding them that day and had not got to her group yet. I ended up back at his shop for something else and he said she would probably eat and eat she did. It took her a couple of minutes, but she grabbed it with one coil and it was dead fast. On the second feeding I dumped the mouse of the box and she had it either before or right as it hit the bottom.

This leads me to another question. After she had killed the second one she managed to drop it. It took her several minutes to get the head found and she almost ate it butt first. Is it common for them to drop the prey.

Thanks
    And please forgive me as I am very new to this.

Thanks
    They may if they dont feel they are in the right position to begin eating. Mine does it all the time.

Its funny mine will rub his face up the body of the prey to figure out the grain the hair is running in to help ensure it goes down head first.

Thanks
    Also try to make the change to Frozen/Thawed ASAP... When i first started years ago I was all about live feed and to a degree it has advantages, however when you move to rats your snake can get hurt bad. Mine got bit really nasty and I will never give live again for that reason. Also dont try to make the change the same time you transition from Mice to Rats as that is hard enough as is.

Get her onto F/T mice for a while and when her size is right you should be able to transition to F/T rat pups.