Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,784

0 members and 2,784 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,594
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bob help!!!

Thanks

Re: Bob help!!!

Mines a year plus and he never did that.

Thanks

Isis is my first beardie and she's just a year old so everything I know about brumation is just from what I've gathered on various other sites.

That said, it sounds like they go into brumation either when temps drop or just when their instincts tell them they're supposed to go into it. Maybe since his basking temps are a little low it's triggered his brumation instinct a little early. The sites I've read said brumation in beardies under a year old is rare but it didn't sound like it was completely unheard of. It also said some beardies go through it every year and some never go through brumation in their lives.

I'd still get the fecal done. Hopefully it comes back negative and your beardie just decided to get his brumation done a little early.
    Last edited by maverickgtr; 08-07-2010 at 01:35 AM. Reason: grammar/spelling
    1.1.0 Ball Pythons [Sparks & Zoey]
    0.1.0 Sandfire x Giant German Citrus Bearded Dragon [Isis]
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko Tattoo [Dorian Gray]
    1.0.0 Fiance [Jordan]

I'm a girl that likes reptiles, tattoos, tech, cars, and F1 races. Now if only I had more room in my house for computers and tanks, and a huge garage for cars and trucks...

Click here to check out Threadless.com!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to maverickgtr For This Useful Post:

BPelizabeth (08-07-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maverickgtr View Post

That said, it sounds like they go into brumation either when temps drop or just when their instincts tell them they're supposed to go into it. Maybe since his basking temps are a little low it's triggered his brumation instinct a little early. The sites I've read said brumation in beardies under a year old is rare but it didn't sound like it was completely unheard of. It also said some beardies go through it every year and some never go through brumation in their lives.
    Its not unheard of, and Honestly the same thing poped in my head about how the lower temps might have triggered it.

The reason they normally do not brumate young is because they are still growing, and need all of the food and time they can get to keep growing, and growing, and growing, so brumating is not triggered in them until they are their adult size.

I think thats what I read a long time ago anyways I makes since though.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beardedragon For This Useful Post:

BPelizabeth (08-07-2010),maverickgtr (08-07-2010)

Thanks

So it's less of how old they are and more of how big they've gotten? That makes sense. Once they get a certain size they grow at a slower rate so brumation wouldn't effect how large they'd get but if they were still growing to full size the lack of nutrients from a suppressed appetite would stunt their growth. So would it be a fair assumption that the sites said it starts to happen around one year old because a beardie is supposed to be full grown around then?
    1.1.0 Ball Pythons [Sparks & Zoey]
    0.1.0 Sandfire x Giant German Citrus Bearded Dragon [Isis]
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko Tattoo [Dorian Gray]
    1.0.0 Fiance [Jordan]

I'm a girl that likes reptiles, tattoos, tech, cars, and F1 races. Now if only I had more room in my house for computers and tanks, and a huge garage for cars and trucks...

Click here to check out Threadless.com!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to maverickgtr For This Useful Post:

BPelizabeth (08-07-2010)

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

I also read about dehydration and so right now he is getting daily baths just in case that is the situation as well.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maverickgtr View Post
    So it's less of how old they are and more of how big they've gotten? That makes sense. Once they get a certain size they grow at a slower rate so brumation wouldn't effect how large they'd get but if they were still growing to full size the lack of nutrients from a suppressed appetite would stunt their growth. So would it be a fair assumption that the sites said it starts to happen around one year old because a beardie is supposed to be full grown around then?
    Typically yes, that and they have matured completely, have adult hormones, and have a better chance at reproducing after.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Beardedragon For This Useful Post:

maverickgtr (08-07-2010)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12