Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,286

1 members and 2,285 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,179
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ReptiFreak
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad mother

Thanks

Re: Bad mother

Quote Originally Posted by broadude View Post

I feed my rats good, I am not prone to keeping non-producing or problem rats on the payroll.
    wurd.......,lmao

Thanks

found more BABYS in the pine cold but alive gave them to a good mom and "dispatched "the barfly,lol[IMG]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snakefreak64 View Post
    found more BABYS in the pine cold but alive gave them to a good mom and "dispatched "the barfly,lol[IMG]

There ya go!
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Thanks

The goal is to have healthy, producing rats. I would also feed off or freeze any that are aggressive, biters (don't want their offspring in the mix) or chewers.

For the chewers, they get ONE chance if they are producers... I tend to put them in the aluminum bins for a while and they stay there till they are either fed off or too old to produce at which point I dispatch. Since they don't tend to chew the aluminum they don't teach it to their kits.

I haven't had a chew out since I first began. Thinking back...wow..it has been a learning experience breeding rats, mice, gerbils and ASF (no more ASF or gerbils).. but you will have fun along the way!

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

I always give them a chance with their first litter. While mothering is instinctive, it's only PARTIALLY instinctive--they often do need practice to truly become good at it. It's not at all unusual for a first-time mom to neglect her litter, or have problems caring for it. Most of the time, the second litter is fine.

If it's NOT a first-time mom, then it could just be a defective litter, and she's not caring for them because she knows there's something wrong with them anyhow--there were stillborns in there, so that's far from impossible. As with the first-time mom, I'd give her another chance. If it happens again, she's snake food. No sense in killing off a perfectly good breeder rat for just one bad litter, after all--it takes time to raise them up to that size.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Just a quick note. Shortly after I replied to this message I had a first time mother rat have a difficult birth that resulted in 3 stillborn and 8 babies that she ignored. There was another female in the bin with her that was close to giving birth.

I moved the neglected newborns to two other female rats that recently gave birth and they accepted them just fine. I just checked on the the one that had problems and her roommate recently gave birth. The mother rat that had problems took several of the babies and was successfully feeding them in her nest.

It does take a while to raise up a healthy female to breeding size and I prefer to give them a chance if I can. I agree that chewers, aggressive rats, and problem breeders should be culled, but I think mother rats that may have had a bad litter shouldn't be put in that category.

In the end, you should do what works for you.

-Lawrence

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xdeus For This Useful Post:

broadude (03-19-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus View Post
    Just a quick note. Shortly after I replied to this message I had a first time mother rat have a difficult birth that resulted in 3 stillborn and 8 babies that she ignored. There was another female in the bin with her that was close to giving birth.

I moved the neglected newborns to two other female rats that recently gave birth and they accepted them just fine. I just checked on the the one that had problems and her roommate recently gave birth. The mother rat that had problems took several of the babies and was successfully feeding them in her nest.

It does take a while to raise up a healthy female to breeding size and I prefer to give them a chance if I can. I agree that chewers, aggressive rats, and problem breeders should be culled, but I think mother rats that may have had a bad litter shouldn't be put in that category.

In the end, you should do what works for you.
    That's awesome that you already had another female in there with her so it didn't involve scrambling up established colonies.

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12