Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,802

4 members and 2,798 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kam (43)
meganp (24)

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,596
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: New BP not eating-worried- advice asap?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    One thing with young hatching is keep them in tight enclosure and warm

Here is what I would do

I would downsize the enclosure to a 6 quarts tub with a plastic flowerpot saucer as an hide.

I would provide 78/80 on the cool side and 88/90 on the warm side

I would switch the substrate to Aspen.

Than I would leave her alone for a week (NO handling) and offer food (live) same prey type that was previously fed.

And of course the prolapse need to be addressed
    What is a prolapse?

Thanks

lol, I have tried leaving the mice near the enclosure, as well as letting the FT thaw right above her that we feed the other snakes. We haven't tried it in a box in the cage yet though, we will give that a shot later tonight I think.

We need to get a scale pretty badly, but I notice a real difference in her bulk visually and while holding her.

Wehave been careful not to handle her much, especially not at all the first week she was with us. Maybe once every 3-5 days since, your right though, we wont handle her at all outside of feeding her, or possibly moving her to a smaller home later tonight. We also wait 3-5 days between attempts to feed her to minimize stress.

Thanks

Thanks Big Gunns, we have tried live small mice, but we could only get ahold of live pinkies, or dead fuzzies to try anything smaller with. We are hoping to get ahold of some tonight.

If it will only be as much as two days i think waiting might be worth it. But its notcable weight loss, and as far as I know she may have only ever eatin 2-3 times in the two or three months shes been alive.

Thanks

a prolapse is when they kinda poop out part of their internal organs or hemepenis.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Everyone else has covered the hudbandry already but I just wanted to agree that you really want to get the prolapse looked at.

Is it permanently exposed? - if it is you might want to keep her on damp paper towels till you see the vet. Also look for old threads where people discuss solutions to keep the tissue hydrated.

But a true prolapse needs treating fairly quickly as it can get infected or dry out and lead to really serious problems. It can also be a sign of parasites so it is definately worth considering getting a fecal done just to rule this out.

If it only comes out when she is handled it could just be a stress reaction as she gets ready to pee on the predator.

As to getting her feeding double check with the vendor and compare his feeding routine to yours.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

dr del,
    The prolapse is only apperent during handling while putting slight pressure near her rear end, it barely comes out at all. There seems to be a slight bloating in general around that part of the tail, really slight. It is nothing near as bad as you see in more prolapses, but I agree, I need to take her to the vet, but won't be able to until next week. Thank you for pointing out it may be a stress reaction though, i did overlook that possibility, it very well could be.

I did contact the breeder and he told me his feeding ruetine, temps, everything and I did my best to replicate them the past two attempted feedings.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice, I'm glad I decided to register for the forum.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by untitledstrings View Post
    dr del,
    The prolapse is only apperent during handling while putting slight pressure near her rear end, it barely comes out at all. There seems to be a slight bloating in general around that part of the tail, really slight. It is nothing near as bad as you see in more prolapses, but I agree, I need to take her to the vet, but won't be able to until next week. Thank you for pointing out it may be a stress reaction though, i did overlook that possibility, it very well could be.

I did contact the breeder and he told me his feeding ruetine, temps, everything and I did my best to replicate them the past two attempted feedings.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice, I'm glad I decided to register for the forum.
    No third person.

I know the look you are describing with the bloated look around the tail. If this snake doesn't eat soon you may need to visit a qualified Vet. Even if it does eat, if it was mine, I'd be keeping a close eye on it. It may seem like nothing, but in my experience that little bloated look is not a good sign with a baby snake that is not eating. I can't see the snake so it's hard for me to say for sure, but in my experience when a baby that hasn't eaten looks bloated like you're stating, they don't usually do too well without some special care.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Gunns For This Useful Post:

dr del (03-07-2010)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12