Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,976

1 members and 1,975 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Aag2019 (31)

» Stats

Members: 75,199
Threads: 248,610
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lilly24601
    Thanks

Tank Setup Critique/Comments

So here's our tank. It's a 20 gal long with Plexiglas glued to the mesh lid to help with ambient heat/humidity problems. Normally both logs have cardboard to enclose the open end and have wires going in the log to measure the heat inside. The humidity is from 60-65 degrees and the heat ranges from the low 80s to about 93 degrees F.

I bought a plastic ivy decoration to create a more enclosed space but my hubby disagreed and removed it. Is there anything that I should add/change? The toilet paper rolls are for the female-she loves hiding in them.

Thanks

Re: Tank Setup Critique/Comments

I would start by taking one of the snakes out and putting in a separate cage. Of course this is totally up to you. Great look bee by the way! Also, the substrate is not something I would use. I think you should try cocofiber/husk, or even just plain newspaper. Best of luck! ~Caylan.S.~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Well there are a few things to me are not as they should be.

The first being two snakes in one tank. Unless you are breeding them, which I hope you aren't because they both look very young, you should house the snakes separately. Ball pythons are not social animals and do not benefit by being housed together.

Second would be the half log hides. For a secretive snake like a ball python, half logs just don't cut it. Exo-terra makes a rock cave type hide that looks very nice and is suitable for ball pythons.

Third, the accurite placement. The probe should be right on the glass where the uth is. The probe should be completely under the substrate. you need to measure the hottest possible spot the snake can possibly get to to prevent thermal burns. Wouldn't want to toast one of those beautiful snakes! The rest of the unit should go on the other side of the tank (cool side). All those dial and gauge thermometers are useless, you might as well throw them away.

Other then that I think it looks like a job well done
    ~Steffe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Praetori (02-07-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Tin foil on the top of the screen to help with humidity but leave a slight hole i the top. Like 1/4 uncovered the rest covered.

Thanks

Coconut husk and cypress mulch raised the humidity too much and that's why we're using the carefresh bedding, but I'll see how aspen or just plain newspaper works and switch it out.

Good to know about the dials, and I'll move the probe around too.

No, they're definitely not of breeding age yet-the biggest, the bee, is about 150g. She's growing fast though and I'm about to switch to either a homemade rack or I'm buying one.

As for the logs...I'll switch that out too.

Thanks

Kaorte has some great advice. Thermometer Probe goes under the substrate, ontop of the UTH. This way if the snake goes moves the substrate, you know what highest temp the snake will be exposed to. Then make sure you have a thermostat hooked up to your UTH, and the probe for that is outside the enclosure on the UTH so the snake does not move it and get a temp spike. Use the thermometer to gauge what to set your thermostat up to.

I keep my apt very cool, so I have 2 UTHs hooked to a thermostat(with one hooked to a dimmer as well). Ambient air is 78-83 (cool side to warm side), and my cool hide stays exactly 11 degrees cooler than my warm hide. My warm hide fluctuates between 91-94 as it heat and cools with the thermostat, cool side is 80-83. I also use a CHE for the ambient air since I do keep my apt cool.

I had the same prob as you. Switched to aspen, and now my humidity maintains ~55%, with a bit less over the warm side where the CHE is at.

Temps and humidity are extremely important, it isn't something you want to guesstimate at, and "ball park" it.

(Now I know why people say tanks are harder to regulate! They are a bit tough until you finally get it setup correctly!)

Deborah Stewart (a reputable breeder in this community) recommended using plastic flower saucers, tubs, etc. I took this approach. I paid .25 cents a hide for 6" flower saucers, and they look fine. It provides a snug hide, which allows the snake to feel secure on all sides.

Good luck, nice looking snakes!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RockyTop For This Useful Post:

Praetori (02-07-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Praetori View Post
    Coconut husk and cypress mulch raised the humidity too much and that's why we're using the carefresh bedding, but I'll see how aspen or just plain newspaper works and switch it out.
    Also, you mentioned you glued plexiglass to the top. You didn't mention if you cut a hole in it to allow ventilation. If you didn't, this may be a reason for elevated humidity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RockyTop For This Useful Post:

Praetori (02-07-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTop View Post
    Also, you mentioned you glued plexiglass to the top. You didn't mention if you cut a hole in it to allow ventilation. If you didn't, this may be a reason for elevated humidity.
    There are 5 rows of holes we drilled for ventilation.

I think I worded my heat explanation wrong- the cool side is in the 80s and the warmest spot is 93 degrees-it doesn't fluctuate like that randomly. The tank has 2 UTH-one wasn't creating enough heat for the rest of the tank so we bought a small (10 gal if I remember correctly) one and placed it beside that. Since then the cool log hide stays at 80 degrees (I checked it once at 1am and it was 78 degrees...so it is fluctuating a few degrees), the area around the water dish is 82 degrees, and the warm area (on the right) is at 86 degrees with the inside of the log being 2 degrees lower. The hot spot is 93 degrees. This morning I moved the probe under the bedding that's over the hottest area and it's over 105 degrees, so I'll run out and buy a thermostat tonight. But the humidity is constant 65%. I'll try aspen and see if that makes things better.

With the flower pot hides, do you sand the edges of the entrance hole or is it not necessary? I've seen pics of it posted where the edges are sharp and always wondered.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about Carefresh bedding that makes it not recommended? It says it's safe for snakes-I'm just wanting to know if there's anything harmful that I should replace it immediately.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Praetori View Post

With the flower pot hides, do you sand the edges of the entrance hole or is it not necessary? I've seen pics of it posted where the edges are sharp and always wondered.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about Carefresh bedding that makes it not recommended? It says it's safe for snakes-I'm just wanting to know if there's anything harmful that I should replace it immediately.
    I would sand down the sharp edges a little just as a safety measure. I've never seen anyone post anything about their snake getting cut on them, but that's not saying it can't happen. Keep in mind, that if you aren't planning on separating them soon, you will need to provide 2 hides on each side or the snakes will choose security over comfort and not thermoregulate. Your snakes aren't snuggling in the one hide, they are competing for the best spot.

I don't see any reason to change the substrate yet. Your first order of business should be to get your AccuRite and probe positioned properly and get the heat under control before one of your snakes get burned. Then, if necessary, change out the substrate, depending on what the humidity is doing.

The main reason I don't like the log hides is when poo or urine get on them there is almost no way to get the smell out of the wood...
    Last edited by Vypyrz; 02-07-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: afterthought
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

Thanks for the comments!

I installed a thermostat and am monitoring my tank as the temperature stabilizes. At least now there aren't any areas that are dangerously warm. I also switched to aspen bedding. And I used Ohballs' "DIY Home-made "realistic" Hides" thread to make a hide-the finishing spray is drying so I won't be able to put it in for a couple days. It was more time consuming to make than I expected, so I'll head to Loews and try the flower pot hides for the rest of the hides I'll need.

But the most important is done-no more dangerous heat. Additionally, I've moved the AccuRite to the cool end with the probe under the bedding and above the UTH.

I'll get new pics up soon. But thank you all for the feedback! My snakes will surely appreciate it!