Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,648

0 members and 1,648 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,195
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Hot-Rod1088
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Just need an opinion on something.

I would like as many opinions on this as possible so please read and reply.

I recently took a deposit on one of the babies I produced this year to someone I know decently well. They were making payments on it and everything and they get it down to $25 owed and decide that they no longer want it. I offered to put the money they had paid me towards a different animal or feeders or anything else that I had for sale really and they just wanted their money back. Now when I sell someone a snake or anything for that matter I have a no refund policy that states " I will not refund any money exchanged for the sale of _______________ under any circumstances unless 1. The animal is sick as a result of my own fault, actions or lack of actions. Then I will gladly receive the animal and take it to my vet at my expense and if found to be as a result of any fault of my own then I will give a full refund plus 50% of purchase price. Or 2. I do not produce what you were wanting to purchase. And 3. The animal sold to you was misrepresented in any way shape or form i.e. I sold you a high white spider but sent you a low white spider.

Now to where I need opinions. Do you think this is a good policy to have and if you purchased a snake from me knowing that policy that was verbally given to you prior to any exchange of money or talk of pricing and then given in writing after down payment is received would you attempt to get a refund because you no longer want the animal?

The reason I was given that they no longer want it is because they can not afford to feed it for a few months so I even offered free feeders for 6 months and a free 10gallon set up.

Thank you in advance
    Tom

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Re: Just need an opinion on something.

Your policy is more than generous.

Their story has some stank on it.

How much is the friendship worth?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (09-08-2009)

Thanks

Sounds like your policy is sound.

If they REALLY had a financial issue, your generous offer solved it.

I say steady the course. You're doing fine.

NINJA EDIT: Wilomn, stop reading my mind please.
    -Paul-

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Not really a friendship more like someone who works with my wife, well for her actually. They are just some people who I know and they really wanted a snake so I made the offer.The way I look at it is if you are willing to make payments and someone is willing to keep the snake, feed it, house it, and make sure it is healthy then you decide to back out it is your fault but I just want some different opinions here ya know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tattlife2001 View Post
    Not really a friendship more like someone who works with my wife, well for her actually. They are just some people who I know and they really wanted a snake so I made the offer.The way I look at it is if you are willing to make payments and someone is willing to keep the snake, feed it, house it, and make sure it is healthy then you decide to back out it is your fault but I just want some different opinions here ya know.
    You have been more than fair. However the connection with your wife could prove a hinderance if she is not the owner of the company and they get mad. So, you might make the following offer. Considering you have kept the animal off the market until now you can offer to sell the animal to someone else. When the animal sells, if it sells for at or above the original agreed price, you gladly refund the money. If on the otherhand it sells for less, you refund only that portion of the money equal to the sale price. Or you could just be a good guy and give the money back out of the good grace of your heart.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Well I wish she was the owner, she is a manager at McD's, but she is high enough in the company that she is not worried about anything. I just spoke to the person who was purchasing it and just offered to keep the snake until they are ready in a better position but again I was turned down.

The biggest reason I am not worried about any repurcussions to my wife is because when the original payment was made, early july, one of the 2 people, they are engaged, was living with us and she was asked to leave because she was unable to get a job and unable to pay any rent for almost 2 months. When she got kicked out I said even then that I would not hold that against any business we were conducting and as far as I was concerned I would hold the snake as long as needed. If the one who works with my wife even tried to cause any trouble for my wife he would get fired because he is already on his last chance there.

Wow long drive into my life lol sorry about that everyone.

Thanks

Best of luck and just remember it is ultimately you who has to live with the choises you make. Have a good one today.

Thanks

thats a tough one there. either way your policy is very nice.

Thanks

Well, you live and you learn, depending on the amount, I would move on at this point and just consider it a life lesson.

I agree with Wes, your new policy is VERY generous.