Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,257

1 members and 2,256 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,148
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala

Thread: growing snake.

Thanks

growing snake.

how can I achieve maximum length of a snake? can I feed him more often or oversized rodents? do snakes stop growing at a certain point in there life?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

Re: growing snake.

You should feed appropriately sized prey at a normal interval. More frequent feedings with oversized prey will more than likely just make it an obese snake with a shortened life span. They will continue to grow, but at a slower rate as they reach adulthood. One important part of responsible snake ownership is to do what's best for the snake, not what's best for you.
    Here's a caresheet http://ball-pythons.net/modules/Sect...warticle&id=59
    --Walt

Thanks

Many breeders "powerfeed" their snakes, which is pretty much a fancy word for making them obese.

Feed a baby snake an appropriately sized rodent* every 5-7 days; feed an adult snake an appropriately sized rodent* every 7-10 days. They will grow at their own pace. Obese snakes are unhealthy snakes that won't live as long as a properly fed snake.

*An appropriately sized rodent should be the width of the snake at its fattest point; too-large rodents will cause regurgitation, which may lead to regurge syndrome, which often results in a snake that won't keep food down and eventually starves itself to death.

BPs grow the most during their first year of life, although they never stop growing.

The best you can do to ensure that you have a properly-sized, healthy snake is to feed it a normal diet; powerfeeding is unhealthy and inhumane. The largest contributor to size is genetics, which you can't change.

Thanks

ok thanks guys, thats why I always ask first. I will continue to feed weekly and hope he gets big on his own.

Thanks

Great advice guys I also want my snake to grow as large as possible but, first off is my snakes health and that's all that really matters to me!