Quote Originally Posted by RandyRemington View Post
It also does not mean "half way to another morph", it just works out that way with co-dominant mutations (i.e. a pastel has a heterozygous genotype at the pastel locus, it isn't really correct to say it's heterozygous for super pastel).
Randy, sorry, I'm really new to bp and I'm just starting to get my head around genetics. The gene sticky was very helpful in explaining dominant, co-dominant, het, homozygous, etc. But, just as I've started to understand this, I got confused by your statement above. Because, I thought since when you breed 2 pastel's together you get the homozygous form which is the super-pastel, I thought then inversely, a pastel is het super pastel?

I'm thinking this is the same as a yellow-belly whose homozygous form is ivory, so a yb is het ivory?

I'm still not sure about the difference between co-dom and dominant. I think a dominant trait is where the het and the super forms are identical while a co-dominant trait is where the het has a visual difference from the super form? Is this correct? But then, I've also read that there is no homozygous spider... so, i'm not really sure I get all this...