Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,069

1 members and 2,068 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,393
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, bananas_momma

Threaded View

Thanks

Re: Absolutes in Reptile Care

Quote Originally Posted by darkbloodwyvern View Post
    And housing 2 snakes together is to me an absolute, especially now.
    ........ I won't rip anyone's face off for housing two together, but I certainly don't recommend it & will continue to recommend AGAINST it having experienced it briefly.
    Some people may have their own personal care preference. If you NEVER want to house two snakes together, that is fine. If you want to recommend against it, that is fine. If you want to tell others that there is no other way but to follow your personal absolutes, that is wrong.

That is one of the main points I was trying to get across. Our specific ways of keeping animals do not become a problem until they become stated as the only way to do something.

We stop progress in this hobby when we deal with too many of the false facts.

Housing snakes together is just one example.

Like I said before.....each reptile is different, each keeper is different and each situation is different.

Onto a different comment...

Tubs are best for snakes.

Do you know why are snakes housed in tubs and rack systems?? The system serves a purpose. Do you know what that purpose is? What makes it better than other methods?

I commonly see people use the comment "ball pythons live in burrows most of the time" when discussing tub housing methods. Ball pythons may live in burrows 'most' of the time in the wild, but they live in our care ALL of the time in captivity. What do ball pythons do when they are not in a burrow?

What if you provided an enclosure with a secure 'burrow' and access to 'above ground'? Wouldn't that be interesting? Think past being told that tubs make great enclosures......tubs and racks work great for what they were intended, but do not view them as a FINAL product(a.k.a. the absolute housing).....Find something that works better.

Like I have said previously, why did some people loose focus on exploring different methods and studying natrual history? Was it because methods were given as absolutes? Was it because expanding upon that knowledge became less interesting? More interest in genetics and morphs? Growing influence of commercial practices on hobby keepers?

I really do not know. I just want people to remember that they can explore more options in the way they care for their animals.
    Last edited by daniel1983; 04-29-2008 at 05:41 PM.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp